Tuesday, January 17, 2006

When the Means become the End

Yup, I've got the "sore throat and runny nose, not sick enough to stay home but sick enuff to stay away from the kids and from training" bug.

One of the reasons why I tri is that it forces me to lean on God's grace - too many times have I prayed and received His healing from training related injuries like sprains, knee pain, and even colds, and I guess I feel that continuing to train/tri glorifies Him as it is His grace that enables me to go on. So to me the training and tri'ing is the means, and glorifying Him is the end. Well, last week was a bit of a wash-out, and I suspect that it is because somewhere along the way, I have let the means become the end - the training became the end point and I felt I just HAD to train.

It started last week with the long rainy days, hoping for the rain to end so I can train again. I was so obsessed with getting out for a run, bike or swim that I even started missing some of my daily QT (queit time with the Lord). The end result is a most unsatisfying swim and bike over the weekend (the only bright spot was the swim lesson from my mystery swim guru buddy), and now I have even fallen sick. :(

It is not a uncommon thing to let the means become the end when it comes to living for God. The Israelites did it way back in the Old Testament times. When the Israelites were wandering in the desert for 40 years, God asked Moses to make a bronze snake so that the people who looked at it would be healed of the venomous snake bites (Numbers 21:4-9). The people must have kept the bronze snake to remind themselves of God's grace and to glorify God, but many generations later, the Israelites actually worshipped the bronze snake (2 Kings 18:1-4)- i.e. the bronze snake that was to glorify God actually replaced God as their object of worship!

King Hezekiah reconciled the people to God by breaking the bronze snake and re-commiting the people to God, and that brought about a huge revival in Judah. I hope to reconcile with God through confession and re-committing as top priority my time with Him.

Proverbs 3:11-12 (NIV)
"My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline
and do not resent his rebuke,
because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in."

Who knows? God willing, I may even be back in training sooner than expected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have been struggling to find a balance between form and distance. While the goal is to complete the swim, I've done enough distance events to know that form counts. So, some of my swimming is slow and purposeful, trying to get the feel of swimming correctly. I'm even contemplating getting some help by way of coaching.

Often, God gets direct when indirect isn't working. In the past I was terrible at hearing God. Now, I'm just hard of hearing. But God takes what steps are needed to help you find balance. How often are we forced to take a break only to find ourselves better and stronger in the end?

Cliff said...

Too true Kewl.

I admit I have hard time reading the Bible everyday. The simple thing of studying the passages is often set aside for other things (training etc.).

Thanks for reminding us the need to spend time with God everyday.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hi Tom & Cliff, thanks for the encouragement and extra big thanks for not freaking out when I post about spiritual stuff. I know it is a sensitive area which some may consider taboo, but I just gotta be myself.

Tom, if you can get a good coach for the swim, it may be a good idea to do so. At least consider the Total Immersion book or DVD. The swim is the event where form impacts timing the most. I remember my 1st Sprint Tri, despite being one of the last in my swim wave, I emerged from the water knackered and had to spend the bike and run legs trying not to throw up - I did complete it, but it wasn't very fun. If the form is right, the swim should not be the killer event in a Tri.

Cliff, been following your blog and it is good to see you are proceeding well physically and spiritually. May the Lord be your strength as you work at your impressive goals.