Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Serenade


"Come to me... Come to me... You know you miss me... You know you miss the sound of us moving together... You know you miss the wind in your (what little) hair..."

My bike is calling me but it has been RAINING non-stop since Saturday here in (usually) sunny Singapore. And when it rains here, it mostly POURS - none of that "maybe it will rain and maybe it won't" kinda light drizzly rain, but more the "in your face" sometimes horizontal sheets kinda downpour. Normally, I would head out anyway (I tell myself I have a carbon frame so no worries about rust), but I just cleaned and lubed the bike on Saturday, and I can't bear to have to do it all over again after just one ride. So what will it be? Keep the bike clean for a few days or get out the de-greaser, rags and lube?

On a totally unrelated note, this just came up - The New Balance Singapore Duathlon. Was reading thru the details and came upon the implied cut off time for the event of 2.5 hrs (10km run, 36km ride, 5km run). Why would anyone organise an event with such a tough cut off time (at least for me, 2.5 hrs is kinda pushing it)? What happened to encouraging everyone to be involved? I am so bummed by it. Should I just stick to my own training for the Tri in July or should I just take part and let the marshalls wait for me to finish?

Decisions, decisions...

5 comments:

Cliff said...

Kewl,

That's a pretty tight time to race under. I don't think i can do it. Unless I bike 36 kph.

Does the dua interfere with your tri?

Sixteen Chickens said...

Hmmm I would ride the indoor trainer. (I do so love a clean well-lubed bike.) And then I would wonder if the race info was a misprint? If it isn't then why not get in contact with the race organizer and ask him/her about the cutoff time. Maybe you can change things for next year!

it's only fuel said...

That really is an agressive cut-off time for that duathlon. I'm sure you can do it, but I agree that it could keep some beginners away.

Oh, and by the way...pics are up!!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Update:
I emailed the organisers about the implied cut-off and he pretty much said that I should stay home and train hard if I cannot come "within minutes" to 2.5 hrs! In the tropical heat of Singapore, 2.5 hrs is very challenging indeed for beginners. My buds are gonna sign up and dare the marshalls to stop them in 2.5hrs, while I will give it a miss - can't bring myself to pay $30 to such a snidey organiser and it falls on a Sunday, so kinda clashes with church.

Thanks guys/gals for the wonderful encouragement. The sun is finally out this morning, so - God willing - I will be training this weekend! Yay!

Kewl Nitrox said...

OOPS, just re-read and realised I missed some questions... ;)

Cliff, doesn't interfere with the Tri in July at all, just thot it would be a good training event as part of the lead up.

Susan, sun is OUT! :)

Wylee, I actually don't own a trainer anymore - did not think I will need one in tropical Singapore (but now with the Monsoon season I am having 2nd thots)...

KT, I will probably come close, but I don't like pressure. :) I'm popping right over to see the pics now!