Tuesday, January 10, 2006

An Engineer At Heart

Ok, sad as it is, I just have to post this picture - what happens when an engineer gets his hands on an aero bar? He uses a spirit level (a.k.a. bubble spirit level vial) to make sure the aero bar is TRULY horizontal. How much impact does this have on comfort, power and aerodynamics? Absolutely none. Just call me me a geek...

Bad News: It has been raining non-stop for the last few days and I wasn't able to get the "freebie" lesson from my swim guru buddy.
Good News: I finally managed to get my hands on the Total Immersion "Free Style Made Easy" DVD - all I can say is "WOW!". I thought it would be one of those boring videos on endless swimming drills, but I must say that it actually makes a lot of sense - having the "sweet spot" to rely on to rest when needed, focusing on balance/gliding/timing, and having a practical step-by-step program to create a good stroke. I foresee that I may not have the patience to master ALL of the drills, but already I see the benefit of doing them and I am eager to start. Maybe there is hope for my swim afterall. :) Now for me to rope in a unsuspecting swim buddy...

9 comments:

:) said...

I like the Da Da Bear ruler! (I level everything on my bike!)

Kewl Nitrox said...

Yo flatman, oops, you caught me stealing from my son's stationary. Glad to know I ain't the only one who does stuff like that. ;)

Hi Susan, you gotta try it, maybe "borrow" one for a preview. I am very impressed. Will update in a couple of months if it helped my swim at all.

Bolder said...

dude, thanks for all the supportive comments on my blog.

i don't know how you've managed to escape my blogroll... but, i think i've gotchya now.

and, you know what that means, inane daily comments, mostly unsupportive, in the comment section on your blog!

lurve that bike... and, you know for me, it's all about the bike!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hey Bolder, what a pleasant surprise to see a comment from da man himself! Your blog is always entertaining/encouraging so I tend to check back as often as work/family allows. It's been raining NON-STOP for days now, and I just cleaned and lubed the bike last week, so I am resisting taking it out in the rain. Gonna snap pretty soon if I don't get to ride!!!!

D said...

You never know, maybe if you did not level it, you could become injured....who knows. I need to take swim lessons. (Thanks for your nice comment....spitting...ugh...what's worse is when I'm running a race and the guy in front of me spits. I fear that I will be hit with one of these during a race..yuck!)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Ahha! A use for a laser leveler, are you reading this Mica?

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog, I've added you to my blog links so I can check in daily. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, Kewl. Nothing says "motivation" like signing up and paying a non-refundable entrance fee. So, I now hold in my hands the entry receipt for the Trinity Triathlon in Waupaca, WI on June 3, 2006. It's at http://www.trinitywi.org/ME2/Sites/Default.asp

One interesting note is that it is run by Trinity Christian College, which has as it's key verse Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." It's interesting on two levels. First, that's my pastor's life verse. Second, it's a God hunt that the first triathlon I enter winds up being a function of Christian fellowship.

There's no turning back now.

it's only fuel said...

What kind of aero bars do you use? I don't think I've seen them before.

TI is the greatest thing to ever happen to me. If you ever get the chance to get to a TI clinic or find a TI instructor in your area, you'll love love love it! It just feels so much better than plodding through the water. Reeeeeeeeeeach:D

Kewl Nitrox said...

dgc: All the betta to chase him down and give him a STEELY stare. Good for physical conditioning. :)

wylee: Thanks! I don't post daily though... Not that I have a social life either, I just have two boys (3 & 5). ;)

tom: Too Cool! And to start with the Trinity Triathlon is just... BEAUTIFUL. You are so gonna enjoy it!

KT: They are Deda Clip One bars (Italian I think) very light at 400g and (I think) looks kinda sexy - Sorry I am a bike geek. So let's see the pictures already! :)