Sunday, July 01, 2007

Week 11 - Giro D'Italia & Bike Stuff

Congratulations to the Saunier Duval - Prodir team - for winning the team championship at Giro D'Italia! Must confess that the only reason why I am excited is that they ride Scott USA bikes (just like ol' nitrox).

On a marginally related note, some latest bike stuff:

  • I finally decided to drop the hammer on the Rotor System Q Ring. I have used Shimano Biopace chainrings before - they were all the rage in the 90's, but frankly I did not notice any significant change between the Biopace and the round ones. Let me tell you this folks, the Q-Rings really work! Going from my current round chain rings to the Q-Rings, there is a noticeable "smoothening" of the pedal stroke - they are supposed to reduce the dead spots in the pedal stroke and I can confirm that they sure do. I certainly do not remember having anything near this "smoothening" effect on my pedal stroke with the Biopace chain rings back in the 90s. In fact, with the Q-Rings my pedal stroke felt so smooth that I was pushing a bigger gear for much of my 50km ride today. This one is definitely worth a try, guys & gals! Alas, it felt so nice and smooth that I simply pushed too hard on the bike and paid the price in the run (had to adandon at the 5km mark - was planning to run 9km). Oh well, it's rest week anyway, so I am not too bothered by it.

  • While I am on the bike, I thought I will post an update on my clip-on aero bar - Deda Clip One (1st reviewed in Jan '06). I got this bar 18 months ago as I was looking for a clip-on aero bar that was light and minimalist in design. There are now many other sexy choices in the market, but I can't fault my Deda bar. :-) It was a challenge getting comfortable on the bar on my road bike, and having no access to bike fit professionals meant a lot of trial and error, but I finally got myself a zero off-set seatpost (used, off a mountain bike) and managed to sort out my bike fitment. Here's a picture of the seatpost (on the right) showing my current saddle position - almost all the way to the front. Once that was done, it worked great - I have always been a believer that simple things work best, and the Deda Clip One bar is a case example in my books. Here's a couple of pictures showing the current alignment of the bar on my bike ('06 Scott CR1 Team):As you can see, the bar is angled downward (handhold on aero bar slightly lower than the brake hoods), and slightly extended beyond the hoods - approx 2-3" out. Here's a close up (please excuse the cheap looking grips, there are actually zero cost grips - I basically cut out discarded mountain bike grips and slipped them on):

And now, a final picture for the parents out there who have tried taking pictures of their bike when the kids are around. :-)

Tomorrow, I get back into training week, and have a "tune-up" 10km race on Sunday. I will not taper for the 10km, but just take it as a training run.

Train safe and God Speed!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope the 10k went well. Nice bike!

Tri-Dummy said...

The bike is looking SWEEEEEET!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your 10K. I hope the report is glowing! :) Love the last photo! ;)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Lovely bike, but not nearly as funny as your kid! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with wylee. Bike is nice, but your son is better :) Hope you had a nice 10K!

Robin said...

First and foremost, that is one of the best pics ever with R1 (hmmm, or is it R2?) peeking in the picture. His face is priceless.

Second, good move on taking the Sunday 10k as a training run.

Lastly, interesting tip on this Q ring. I'm going to go talk to my local bike shop guy about this next time I bring my bike in for a tune up. Thanks!

m said...

I want a bike now after looking at your pics. That's the only reason I haven't trained for a sprint tri (though I dreamt I did an IRONMAN last night)

Does that count? It was actually a really easy race. I guess that's why they call them dreams.

Cliff said...

Kewl,

That's a good idea to put old bike grips on the aerobar. I have been meaning to put grip tape on them but never figure out a way to wrap them around.

Anonymous said...

Fast lookin' bike!

Unknown said...

I think it was pretty clever how you put those grips on the aerobars!

qcmier said...

I've thought about the Q ring. Maybe I should like into them seriously.

Fitness4God said...

Hey,

Nice bike! Curious, what made you decided to purchase a Scott bike? There are so many nice road bikes and it's hard to choose!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hi Dennis, To be honest, I have had a fixation with carbon frames since my teenage days and this was one of the more affordable "complete" bikes with a carbon frame when I was looking. Also, my LBS carried Scott and I was pretty comfortable with the shop (local support is very important to me).

No regrets since, it has served me well. Email me if you want to chat about bike choices - it's one of my favourite topics!