Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Yikes!

Has it been a MONTH already since I last posted?!?! Sorry guys/gals, I resolve to post more regularly henceforth (and perhaps slightly shorter posts). :o)

Well, I actually haven't been up to much - just work, family time and trying to find time to train. I think I have finally come to accept that I am truly an accidental triathlete now - it is really tough trying to keep to some sort of training schedule when I have to prioritize training after work and family, so I have learnt to accept my small goals (just one Sprint Tri this year and a Olympic Distance Tri next year) and to enjoy whatever training time I have.

In the spirit of keeping my posts short and hopefully more regular, I will just jump straight into telling you about my latest bike upgrade - the Fizik Arione Triathlon saddle and a Thompson Elite (zero offset) seat post to replace my Scott CR1 Team stock saddle and seatpost (a rather hard Selle San Marco saddle and the Ritchey Comp seat post). Here's a picture of the new saddle/seat post on my bike. :)

Took it for my usual weekend 60km ride and I must say that compared to the stock saddle, the Arione Tri feels like a sofa. :) I like to scoot to the nose of the saddle when in aero position on the flats and move back a bit to sit on the "bum" of the saddle when climbing (yes, there are the rare few hills in Singapore), and the Arione Tri is very comfortable in both positions.

The Thompson seat post has zero offset so I now sit closer to the handle bars which seems to help me spin easier (been trying to ride in the 90-95 rpm cadence instead of my usual 85-90 rpm). Most importantly, sitting closer to the handle bars seem to help on the run as well. I have been getting a disturbing "popping" sound coming from my right knee when I start running after the bike. No pain or anything, but I found the "popping" sound to be rather alarming all the same. :) Well, I am glad to report that with this new set up, there is no more weird popping noise. Here's hoping it stays that way!

Until next time, take care, train safe and God Speed!

4 comments:

Cliff said...

dang....that sounds like a great seat :)

Now there is more reason to ride..err train :)...err to sit on the sofa :D

Iron Pol said...

It's good to hear the new seat has had several (and hopefully long lasting) positive impacts. It's great when a purchase provides the expected benefits, and a few unexpected ones.

I juggle many of the same balls you juggle, though work seems to demand less of my time than yours (and definitely less travel). While early morning wakeups aren't my favorite thing, I've found that to be the only way to get solid training hours in. If I wait until I get home, the demands of house and home take over. You might think about what is possible if you can squeeze 60-90 minutes into the morning schedule.

After a while, you'll find the early wake ups aren't even bothersome.

Mr Sanguine said...

Good to see ya back online!

Papa Louie said...

Good to hear from you. Hopefully, your new seat setup continues to work well for you.