Saturday, July 14, 2007

Week 13 of 15 - Injury, Hot Trot & Open Water Swim

Hi folks, I am back from Thailand, and just about on track for this week's training. Sorry for anothe long training post, but this is my final training week before taper, so please indulge me. :-)
  • Mon: Tempo Run - 20mins warm-up, 22 mins tempo (10.3km/hr), 20 mins cool down.
  • Tues: 550m Warm Up, 6 X (220m sprint, 30s recovery), 110m Cool Down.
  • Wed: Work was just CRAZY. Could not squeeze in any training before my flight to Bangkok. In fact, I arrived at the airport after the flight has closed but I was able to convince the check-in guy to let me onto the flight! Phew...
  • Thurs: Strength Training - Leg Press, Seated Row, Bent Elbow Lat Pull Down, Push-ups, Bicycle (Abs). I injured my left shoulder blade (upper back) while I was doing push-ups, of all exercises - and I thought it is the safest exercise of all! I was into my 2nd set of push-ups when I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder blade - not good. I could not even lift up my left arm. A prayer and some stretching later, I felt much better and managed to complete the push-ups and bicycle (Abs). Praise God! I'm not too worried about my shoulder given that next week I start to taper, so I will just think of it as a reminder from God to pray for Cliff's shoulder. :-)
  • Fri: Long Run (15km) - Woke up late to a cloudy day and decided to do a mid-day run. The sun is pretty brutal in my part of the world, so I figure that I should get in at least one hot run before race day. Just realised that I am in one of the last waves, which means flag off is 11:15am or later - I am praying for cloudy skies or it's gonna get REALLY HOT (32 C / 90 F).
  • Sat: Plan to do a 1.6km open water swim later this evening - we'll make it a family outing to the beach with another buddy (who is doing the Sprint) & his family. The plan is for the dudes to try out open water swim and the missus to watch the kids. My buddy will do 800m and I hope to do double that, which means I will be swimming alone for at least half the time. This may be my 1st and last open water swim before the O.D. Tri in 2 weeks (last month we managed to get to the beach, but I swam all of 10 mins), so I am a little nervous - I have not done any significant open water swim since the Sprint Tri's in 2005. This time, I have fashioned a simple open water floatation device - fancy term for a bit of rope tied on one end to my race belt and the other end to my pull buoy. I hope my feet will not get caught up in the rope - have tied a slip knot on my race belt in case I have to jettison the whole thing mid-swim (it's actually pretty easy to take off the race belt mid-swim if I have to, but better safe than sorry).
  • Sun: Long Brick - I plan to do 50km bike / 10 km run. I like qcmier's suggestion to do a "tempo" brick, and will do that next weekend as part of week 1 of my 2 week taper. I am thinking that in taper, we reduce volume but increase tempo, right? So maybe a 60mins bike / 40 mins "tempo" run is just the ticket?
Well, that's all folks, 2 weeks before my 1st ever Olympic Distance Tri! Until next time, continue to train safe and God Speed!

4 comments:

Cliff said...

Kewl,

I will keep your shoulder in my prayers as well :).

You are very ready for the Olympic tri.

I remember one time when i was swimming in oopen water..there were a bunch of kids asking me about swimming. Very cool stuff.

If u swim alone..make sure u have someone watching you. Just in case.

Unknown said...

You sound well on your way to that Oly.

Make sure someone keeps an eye on your for the part that you swim alone. Not sure how you are planning to do the 1600 M, but if you do 400 M out and back, maybe your buddy can hang out in the water watching you while you do your second loop.

m said...

Whew. I'm tired just reading about all of your training. Good luck with your Olympic Tri.

Swimming is over for my children until the fall. Hoping the medication works better then. (though last fall/winter we didn't have these problems)

Papa Louie said...

I wouldn't think of tapering as increasing the tempo. But rather as relaxed slow steady decreased volume workouts. Focus on your mental game plan. All the work is done and soon it will be time to cash in on all your hard work. Remember during your race that you've earned your spot on the course and you will have fun completing your first Olympic Triathlon!