Monday, July 09, 2007

Week 12 of 15 - Bubble Baths & TT week

Something occurred to me while I was giving R1 & R2 a bubble bath this weekend... Like all kids, R1 & R2 loves bubble baths, so once in a while, we fill up the big bath tub in the master bedroom bath and give them one. R1 & R2 love taking baths together, but now that they are getting older (6+ and 4+ respectively), they are starting to want their own space. This time in particular, they were so busy hoarding the bubbles on their respective ends of the bath tub, and fighting with each other over who has more bubbles, that they totally forgot to enjoy the bubble bath. As I was watching them, it occured to me that sometimes, we are like that too. God, in His love, blesses us with good things, but how often are we so busy hoarding them that we forget the simple act of enjoying the very blessings that He has given us? As I watched the bath disintegrate into a fight, I realised that when God blesses us out of His love, it must be incredibly frustrating for Him to see us fighting over the very things that He has blessed us with. When we do that, we take the good things that He has given to us, and turn them from blessings of joy into seeds of enemity. Let's take the time this week to simply appreciate and enjoy the many blessings He has put into our lives - family/children, health, fitness, material well-being, the ability to race, etc...

On the training front, I have decided to call this week a TT week. Some of you already know that I had the 10km race last Sunday, but on top of that, I decided to also do swim and bike TTs this week:
  • Mon: Tempo Run. 20 mins warm-up, 20 mins @ 10.3km/hr (quit laughing, that's tempo for ol' nitrox), 20 mins cool down.
  • Tues: Swim Intervals - 550m Warm Up, 5 X (220m sprint, 30s recovery), 550m Cool Down.
  • Wed: Long Run. 15.1km, 1hr 44 mins. Yups, that's my longest run yet!
  • Thurs: Strength Training - Leg Press, Seated Row, Bent Elbow Lat Pull Down, Push-ups, Bicycle (Abs).
  • Fri: Bike TT. 40.2km in 1hr 19mins. (It was a very flat course, but that's as fast as ol' nitrox can go).
  • Sat: Swim TT. 1.65km in 40 mins. Following Rachel's very informative swim post, I was concentrating on using the top of my head to point ahead, keeping my finger-wrist-elbow straight and using it as a paddle, pulling a full stroke, and it seems I made a breakthrough in the swim! 1.65km in 40mins ain't fast for you ironmen/women out there, but it's 1-2 mins faster than ol' nitrox had ever done it! I'm so hoping that this is not a flash-in-the-pan fluke. (If you are heading over to Rachel's blog, remember to check out her HAWT new Tri Bike.)
  • Sun: Run TT. Saucony-100Plus Passion Run 2007 - Official results just out - 62mins chip time (my watch says 61mins) which is slower than more than half of the guys in the Men's Open. Either way, I did NOT meet my target time of 60mins. Still, it's 6-8 mins faster than when I was running 10kms as long runs back in March, so I guess I can't complain. I'm lousy with race reports so I'll just say that overall, I'm actually pretty happy with the run, as I managed to meet my secondary objectives of (1) running at a steady rate, (2) getting a negative split, (3) test out my el cheapo racing shoes (they worked great - can't say that I noticed the weight difference when running, but I had no problems with them at all), and (4) being able to get to church on time after the run. :-)
This week (week 13 of 15) is my last training week before tapering for the OSIM Olympic Tri. I will be travelling to Bangkok this week, so again I will have to juggle my training schedule a little. Still can't decide if I should go for a mock O. D. Tri this weekend, or just do a long brick (50km bike / 10 km run). What do you think? Also, do I need to do any swim/bike bricks? Have not done that at all this time.

Until next time, train safe everyone, and God Speed!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Kewl. Love the bubble bath thoughts!

Sixteen Chickens said...

My boys used to hoard their bubbles on the ceiling... and the floor. :)

Robin said...

OH MY GOSH! SWIMMING BREAKTHROUGHS ARE SO COOL! So are bubblebaths.

CONGRATULATIONS.

Robin said...

PS: Good job on the run, too. did u run to church?

;-)

Anonymous said...

We are just like kids in a bubble bath at times. What is wrong with us?

Enjoy your trip to Bangkok, and good luck on the upcoming tri!

Unknown said...

You met secondary goals on your 10k run, which is important. I often do not meet my A-goal, but it's important to recognize the good things that we did right. Just like the bubble bath we need to enjoy our accomplishments and the joy of being able to participate and celebrate these activities that we are so blessed to be able to take part in. Have a safe trip.

Robin said...

it's up! it's up! posted WITH pics!

be the first to read it.

be warned: it is long.

qcmier said...

Thanks for your thoughts. The "parable" of the bubble bath was excellent. I vote for a long bike ride followed by maybe a 45 minute up tempo run. If you still have time jump in the water and swim for 10 minutes after the brick.

TRI Vortex said...

"Faster than last time" is the rule I try to race by. As long as I see improvement then I can't complain.

Unknown said...

bubble baths are fun!

I think you did great on the 10K.

I think the bike/run transition is harder than swim/run. I'd focus on bike/run bricks.

Rachel said...

Love the insight on enjoying and sharing your blessings.

Awesome training week. Sounds like you're ready for your race.

Thanks for the shout out to my blog! Just a note on the head down thing...turns out, my coach said I was dropping my head tooo low! Be careful not to let that happen to you (my hips are also too high). Your head should rotate passively with your torso as you turn during your stroke.