Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Singapore Zoo Keepers Dissolve in Water" & "Cold Feet"

Yup, that's the conclusion that I have come to - the Zoo Keepers in Singapore dissolve in water! Ol' nitrox volunteered to be one of 3 parents accompanying R1's teacher and his class of 35 7-year-olds to the zoo yesterday (hurray for taper period) and as you can see, it wasn't exactly a beautiful sunny day. So here we were standing in the rain, the animals were standing in the rain, but they cancel not one, but two animal shows due to the rain, and I cannot fathom why except that the Zoo Keepers are soluble. Some kids were whinning when it was time to go, "But we haven't seen anything yet?!?!"...
On a totally unrelated note, I am starting to get cold feet about the OSIM Triathlon in less than 2 weeks. I found out that my wave starts at 11:15am, which means that I will be swimming, biking and running through the HOTTEST 3.5 hours of the day, and this is no laughing matter in tropical, HOT (80-90F) and HUMID (80-100%) Singapore. Had I known this earlier, I would have spent more time training in the early afternoon to condition myself to the heat. Did I prepare enough for this?? I am 4 days into my 2-week taper, which so far has meant sitting around and getting fat, and I am pretty sure that is not what tapering is about. So I betta get off my (fattening) ass and figure what I am supposed to be doing...
Train safe and God speed everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will do great. Don't let that heat freak you out. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a cool day. :) You don't have to train in the heat to prepare for heat. Just getting outside in it and doing other things will get you used to it. Warm up those cold feet - you're gonna need them!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!

Rachel said...

Wow, that's a late start. And hot. Make sure you have plenty of fluids ready to go and salt tablets. Also, you'll have to adjust your pace accordingly because your heart has to work harder in the heat to cool your body so don't expect to go as fast as you could on a cool day. But as long as you're realistic, you should still have a great race!

Unknown said...

I am not very good at tapering, but I know that you should be doing some shorter and a bit faster workouts to keep you fresh. We don't want you sinking in the water due to the excess weight you put on during your taper. Keep yourself sharp.

Unknown said...

That does seem kind of like a late start, but don't worry about it! Just do what you can to be prepared for the heat. Maybe some short runs/bike rides in the warmer part of the aftenoon?

Anonymous said...

Dont worry you will be fine! Weather has been cool (and wet) lately so everything will be swimmingly well. Just do your best!

keith