Thursday, June 28, 2007

Shaken...

Last Sunday, Thaddeus Cheong (17) passed away at the national triathlon team selection trial for South East Asia Games after completing the Olympic Distance Triathlon in 2 hours 9 mins. Despite the apparent lack of medical personnel at the event, the family is not blaming anyone. In fact, they continue to have very good things to say about the sport and about TAS (Triathlon Association of Singapore). I think it is a tremendous testimony of God's grace for the family to respond in such a gracious manner.

However, I must admit that I am a little shaken by this incident. In the last couple of months, I have been getting some negative or cautionary feedback about triathlons. More than one person has told me to start saving for a knee replacement surgery, and incidents like this and the deaths in triathlons in Singapore the last 2 years running make those around me nervous about my sport. Are we taking on more risks as triathletes/runners as compared to the inactive? As the sole bread winner, am I being irresponsible to my family? Please tell me it is NOT crazy of me to start triathlons in my middle age. Yes, I am shaken, but He is my strength and shield, and I will continue to train with the freedom that He came 2 thousand years ago to give me.

Train safe and God Speed.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that running and triathlon are both very safe sports and are much safer than being inactive. It is horrible when these unexpected deaths happen. I will pray for the family and I hope that you continue to train.

Unknown said...

I sometimes wonder about risk of a bike crash. But I've gotten closer to God through my training as well as more fit. So I think it's overall a positive to my life here on earth.

How about you? How as triathlon training been a positive impact to your life?

If you see a lot of benefit, don't let the negative thoughts interfere. If you *don't* see a lot of benefit, then maybe it's a message...

Cliff said...

There was a kid who died from a heart attack playing hockey earlier this year. Sad to say, it can happen.

Kewl, if u train smart and train conservatively..i don't see a problem in being active.

I don't knwo what common sport they play in singapore....maybe soccer? Running as an aerobic activity intensity is the same playing soccer.

Unless you run with bad shoes or run too fast and train too hard, your knees will be fine :). I was pseaking toa 60 yr old on Sun. He was just doing jog and he was telling me how his Dr was telling him his running days are over. Of course, I don't want u to force running. if u find other fun sport to go...i say do it :)

but i don't know any other sport u can wear spandex :D

despite all that.any death is a tragedy.i will keep him in my prayers..

Robin said...

That is so sad. I will think about Thaddeus on Sunday at my race.

No, I do not think you are crazy. I am 37 and started this 3 yrs ago. It is good for us to be active. Train smart and we are better off with this lifestyle, I truly believe.

Robin said...

you know, i understand it is scary, though. Even though I believe what I just posted. At Mooseman (my June oly) we had a moment of silence, b/c a triathlete died after that race last year.

when it's our time, it's our time. we are not tempting an early destiny by being active, i believe

Kewl Nitrox said...

Thanks all. The newspapers were saying that Thaddeus has a younger brother who is also in Triathlons, and it seems their parents have no intention of stopping him from continuing in the sport he loves (after a thorough physical exam).

Triathlon training has become a key part of my life, the life that Christ came to give me. It is also a key part of what He has made me, and I am not about to change that.

I praise God for being the source of strength and grace for Thaddeus' family even during this very difficult time. I praise God that they can rest secure that they will see Thaddeus again when all will be revealed.

Unknown said...

Hi!!!

My friend wrote a tribute to him that was sung at the funeral. We just got it recorded. It’s at

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcxz8mbh_69grnbpx

Cheers
Charles