Saturday, June 17, 2006

Starting Over...

I posted sometime back that I have opted out of the only Olymptic Distance Triathlon in Singapore - The OSIM Triathlon (a.k.a. Singapore Triathlon). Just did not feel I was ready for it with all the interuptions to training that my business travels brought. I will be doing at least one Sprint Tri this year, but that's it for my (depleted) racing calendar this year. :( That's the problem with living in Singapore, I guess, there aren't that many "mass participation" Triathlons in this region.

Been feeling quite frustrated with my training this year. Feels like so far it has been pretty much stop-and-go, and I'm feeling really bummed that I have to pull out from the OSIM. I'm not much of griping sort (I hope, although my wife will probably disagree), so I'm just gonna make use of this holiday at home to put it all behind me and START OVER. I have already reported 2 runs (5km and 10km) and a swim (1.5km) so far this week, and today I decided to go for a bike ride.

As I sat on the floor putting on my shoes, I looked up apprehensively at my bike. It was reminding me of its carbon DNA, bladed fork and racing pedigree, while looking down with disdane upon my soft thighs. I was wondering if this would be a good ride, or if I will find myself wondering why I even bothered, but I've got the bottles filled and the tyres pumped so off I went.

Well, I am happy to report that 2 hours later, I rolled back home a tired but happy camper. And as I took off my shoes, I looked up at my bike (which I have not named and probably never will - but that's another story), and it didn't seem that haughty anymore. It's still a racing stallion, and I am still not much of a rider, but I think we reached a common understanding today out there - as long as we are giving our 100% and having fun, not much else matters. I think I am beginning to like this new attitude. :)

Until next time, take care, train safe, and God Speed!

6 comments:

Deb said...

There are always other races...other days. I know THAT race was the one you set your eyes on, but I think maybe all these things contributing to your reduced training, are telling you to re-evaluate how you spend your time...jsut for a little while. ;) You'll be back strong and focused...with God's speed!

Anonymous said...

yeah... when it stops being fun, you know it is time to 'scale back'... ;p

well, there's the desaru-pulai tri on oct 7/8. You can bring the whole family for a weekend holiday while you slog it out.

http://www.desarutriathlon.com/

cheers
keith

Iron Pol said...

I say you just look at triathlons like we look at God. No matter how many times or how far we slip from the path He as chosen for our lives, He lets us get right back into the swing of things. We may have to take a few steps back for our own comfort, but the course is always there.

Training isn't that much different. You may have had other things pulling you other ways. You may have to step back and reduce your distances. But you can start right back in and get back on track.

Trifrog said...

Your training is a journey for you. Think of all the things you've learned about yourself in pursuit of this goal. Even if the goal has to be postponed, the lessons are already with you and will remain. Enjoy training even without the plethora of races.

Anonymous said...

Don't let the racing pedigree get in the way of cycling enjoyment. Look at you performance enhancement as the result of long and joyful rides, make sure you love that time on the saddle. Chill out when it comes to rigorous training goals. Go for new routes, explore new roads and sites. Avoid training on the same spot every time, even if it costs you an extra driving effort. Remember Évariste de Parny: La variété est la source de tous nos plaisirs, et le plaisir cesse de l'être quand il devient habitude.
Yesterday I made an 80km ride in the beautiful hilly roads of sunny Algarve and I am happy to say that cycling becomes more of an addiction to me every time I ride in new territories.

Elói

Cliff said...

U can always do your own tri race. Swim, bike and then run on your own. :)

Running is a whole different story when u bike right before it.

Oh the joy of bike riding :)....life can't get any better.