Friday, June 23, 2006

Prayers Do Work!

Thanks for the excellent prayer support - did not have time to post yesterday, but R1 woke up yesterday morning WITHOUT a hint of the fever and R2 is perfectly fine too. If you have not been following the posts, R1 started having a nameless high fever on 20th night, and by 22nd morning, he was perfectly fine! In my QT, I came across Matthew 4:23-24, which reminded me that Jesus healed all kinds of illnesses and everyone who came to him for healing. I am not too fussed about what it was that caused the sudden fever, as there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is healed. What an awesome God we have - He involves us in prayer to build our faith and delivers us from illnesses. To celebrate, we brought the boys swimming! :)

The whole subject of healing miracles is one of great controvesy, and I know I will not be able to do justice to the subject even if I wrote another 10 posts on it. There are still some very tough questions like what place does medicine have, and why are there still sickness and death in this world, etc... Personally, I think of doctors and medicine as blessings from God - He made us smart enough to help ourselves, so we should make full use of that. What does not get practised enough sometimes is the parallel action of praying for the sick as commanded in James 5:14. Which brings us to the tricky question of if God heals, why is there still so much sickness and death in this world?? I really don't know... I think part of it is probably that we live in a fallen world and there are consequences of that - e.g. if I choose to abuse my body, I need to recognise that there will be consequences to my decisions. This does not explain why a lot of children are still lost to illnesses (especially in this part of the world), I guess some things will just have to wait till we meet our Lord to find out. What I do know is that we prayed, and R1 is healed, and I have been blessed to see enough healings to be convinced that they are not just a random occurences.

Another area of thanksgiving is that after writing an ode to my holiday, my last few days of leave actually turned out beautifully! I have been spending time with the boys in the day, getting my QT and training in, AND even squeezing in time to work at night. :)

Speaking of training, I cut short my run last night (set out to do 10-11km, ended up with 5.7km) as it was getting late, and right after starting out I remembered that I have not done my QT for the day (yes, I am guilty of not being consistent to my stated goal of training only after QT). While I could have prayed/medidated as I ran (which I do sometimes), I did not start the run with that intention and so it felt a bit like offering a stolen sacrifice or a sacrifice with defects (Malachi 1:13-14). I am not saying what I did is right, perhaps just that I am more anal than I thought. :)

God is good, and I am confident that He will keep you safe and speed you in your journey. Amen!

7 comments:

Iron Pol said...

I think there is something to be said for stopping what you are doing because you need to spend time with God. All too often, we give God leftovers. Seems to me Cain and Abel had a little squabble over that issue.

And God probably understands the need for the training. Perhaps that's why he let you get out the door.

Cutting a run short for time with God is far better than cutting it short because it's hot, and you want a nap.

Trifrog said...

Once again, you encourage and challenge me to deepen my walk with God.

I sometimes feel pretty 'holier-than-thou' when I end a workout early to stretch - but to get in the QT. You are inspiring!

Cliff said...

QT is important. With our busy lives, it is always easy to put that in the back burner.

But the truth is that the busier we are, the more important is QT.

Oh one more thought about HRM on the race. If u are doing Sprint Tris and shorter tris, don't worry about your HR. If I dare to say, even Olympic tris, I don't think u need a HRM.

I only worry about HR for longer distance to make sure I keep myself in aerobic zone. For short distance, i am going all out anyways and HR becomes less importance than perceived exertion.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Glad to hear the children are both ok. Sorry I didn't get here sooner but I've been ignoring my PC except for email. Today I finally broke down and have been spending some time catching up.

Balancing children, career, training and life in general is pretty tough at times, but I think you do an awesome job.

Deb said...

Iron Pol is right on... all to often we give God our left overs. Good to check ourselves...huh? I think you do a great job, between your QT, family and work. It's tough & everything we do (and have) comes from Him. You've been blessed....He'll keep it all in balance for you. Glad the boys are well!

qcmier said...

Hmm, I often pray while I train, but have not thought about it as offering a sacrifice with defects. I often think of my training as a prayer of Thanksgiving for the abilities I have been given.

Glad to hear the kids feel better.

Comm's said...

I recently switched to a New Living Translation and was reading in Matthew or James and there was a footnote regarding why people get sick and this and that. One suggestion that I had not seen before in my NIV's is that suffering and illness can afflict our downline of our family for our sins and that even though we may be walking with Christ now or for years, sins take a lifetime to cleanse.