Sunday, February 05, 2006

Need for Speed


Had a pretty good week - 2 swim drill sessions, a bike ride, and a negative split 9km run. That's about as much training as I can squeeze into a week with current work and family demands.

Saw the local Tri club doing bricks while I was on my run, and realized that it is time to do a reality check on my aim to do a Olympic Distance Triathlon in July. This is my only Triathlon goal this year, keeping in mind my limited time to train, but even then it is time to get serious about it. I think the challenge I may have is SPEED. Given that it is "only" 1.5km swim, 40km ride, 10km run, I believe, with God's grace and more training, I can probably get thru the lot, but as I shared in a previous post, I was slow before and now with the 2 weeks break, I am even slower now. :(

  • Swim: Trying to improve my stroke through kicking drills. I feel like I am swiming faster now, I would say that I have a more deliberate stroke and I float better now thanks to the improved kicking, but I have lost some stamina from before. Still need to work on the kicking - Tried to do vertical kicking (sans the Total Immersion DVD) but could only keep the water level at my forehead unless I go all out (and tire in 30 secs). Will have to start balancing kick drills with distance swims, and work hard on the stamina/confidence to go back to the 1.75km that I could swim with my old, lousy stroke.
  • Bike: After the 2 week break, I am terribly slow now - can't even mantain 30km/hr in the usual straights. Could be that the winds are stronger this season, but disappointing nonetheless. Will have to start some speedwork, maybe introduce some “fartlek” style intervals in my weekly rides.
  • Run: Only had 2 runs since the 2 weeks break. I am still doing below 10km and very slow. Will have to build back up to 12km, and probably start some speed work too. There is a gym in my office which I have never used – perhaps it is time to start mid-week lunch-time 5km tempo runs.

Bottomline is that the Triathlon is fast approaching, and I betta get serious if I am going to do this…

8 comments:

Cliff said...

Slow is better than not doing.

My training right now, I am more concern about my aerobic base than anything else. I might go slow but as long as my body can handle the distance, the rest is doable.

Focus on distance. Then the speed. Your speed ain't bad. But that's just from my perspective. I am running about 10 km/hr and cycling about 28 km/hr. Looking at your bar, I am going about as same speed as u. Ok Myabe i am slow too :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

Thanks Cliff, the difference is that you are doing an Ironman and I am doing only 1/4 of an Ironman, so I guess there is some pressure to finish before the organisers pack up and go home. :) Good progress on your front though, and I think you have exactly the right approach for the Ironman - invest in the time to build your base.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up! After perhaps 2 months of drills, you will definitely see an improvement!! The "loss" of stamina is prob due to the fact that your new muscles have not adapted to the correct kicking method, hence you tire much more easily.

Anonymous said...

The key is obviously discipline. First, discipline to train. Second, discipline to give training time. My biggest effort right now is to give my new swim training time to sink in and become second nature. I have to fight the urge to go, "Yeah, I figure I have that, what's next."

Give yourself the time to see improvement. Think back to the time it took to get where you are, and consider that you are trying to make major changes. Just like you wouldn't expect me to jump in and do an Olympic distance tri from the word go, you shouldn't expect all your improvements to come immediately.

How does that old saying go? Patience is a virtue...

Kewl Nitrox said...

Tom/Swim Bud, you are both right. I tried to do 1.5km swim last night and had to stop at 1km - got tired from all that kicking. :) At least now I know for sure that the "limitation" is me getting used to kicking.

Funny how QT last night also brought me to Isaiah 30:15 "...In quietness and confidence is your strength...". Yup, patience (and faith) is what I need to work on. :)

qcmier said...

Persistance pays. Keep at it.

Chris said...

Keep at the swimming. It'll come around. Did you get a chance to check out any swim coaches or programs in your area? I think it could be helpful. You shouldn't really need your kick for propulsion or to fix your body position that much. How about working on some floating drills and pressing the "T" drills to get your hips up so you don't have to rely on your kick?

Just a thought...

Kewl Nitrox said...

qcmier, yup, you are rite and I will keep at it.

Chris, I am practicing that too - pressing down on the "T". Just that when I do that, I find it hard to breathe... :(