Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Unconditional Blessings?

It occured to me a couple of weeks ago that while God loves us unconditionally (He hates sin but loves the sinner), He never promised unconditional blessings.

In fact, almost all the promises of blessings in the bible contain certain conditions. At the most fundermental level, we are saved when we believe. We cannot be saved if we do not believe, and this is simply because until we believe, we cannot bring ourselves to accept the saving grace of God into our lives. I guess it is a bit like a parent trying to get a hesitant child to go to a party, join a game, try a new dish, etc... At some point, the child has to trust Mommy or Daddy enough to try it to experience the blessings that the new experience brings.

My current favourite verse (below) speaks of the blessings of joy and peace, and how to always have them in my life. Again, such a simple requirement (to set God always before me), but so hard to do consistently in practice. :)


"I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,"
Psalm 16:8-9 (NIV)
Update to my last post: I am afraid the nap won over the bike, so I am heading out in a few hours for a much needed bike ride. Train safe everyone!

6 comments:

qcmier said...

I need to read the Bible more often; it is tough fitting everything into the few hours we are awake. Thanks for the inspiration.

Steven said...

I love that verse. Thanks for keeping us grounded on what's really important.

Cliff said...

Thanks for sharing the verse...i found there is a lot of good stuff in the Old Testament. There is a lot of knowledge that can be apply to personal life found there.

Do you have a day of ftoday??

Anonymous said...

I like to look at it the other way - even what we often think of as "non-blessings" are actually blessings if we bother to figure out what God intends for us to change and 'refine'....

for me, the nap always wins over the ride. lol

Kewl Nitrox said...

qcmier/steven, thanks for the encouragement. You are both right on what is really important. :)

cliff, yup, it is beautiful how the OT and NT comes together! No, was not on off, was working from home hence could go for a ride in the evening (in place of the daily commute). :)

k, thanks for the inspiring view. Yes, too often we miss God's blessings in our lives just becoz we are not seeing things from God's eyes.

Anonymous said...

Actually God never said that He would bless us conditionally too.

As recounted by my old sunday school teacher *winK* who told me this 15 yrs ago and only now did it make sense. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these will be added unto you". So..blessings could be anything and everything, but most importantly we seek Jesus as our righteousness for spiritual blessings (peace with God, joy, strength etc). Then everything else (not limited to health and wealth) will come around.