Saturday, February 25, 2006

India Here I Come! (Updated)

Finally had the chance today to get my boys to put on their shoes, so naturally I cannot resist a photo shoot! Ok, so it wasn't a run but a 6km bike ride with the kids, but it's gotta start somewhere... :)

With the OSIM Olympic Distance Triathlon just over 3 months away, perhaps it is time to set some goals. I have never done a Olympic Distance Triathlon before, so I am thinking of just doubling my last Sprint Triathlon timings as a goal...


  • Swim:
    Sprint (750m) 00:21:36
    Target for Olympic (1500m) 43 mins?
  • Bike:
    Sprint (20km) 00:41:56
    Target for Olympic (40km) 1 hr 20 mins?
  • Run:
    Sprint (5km) 00:32:22
    Target for Olympic (10km) 1 hr 5 mins?
I am currently only doing the swim, bike and run training seperately - no bricks at all. And even then I am taking about 44mins for 1.5km in the pool, probably 1hr 30mins for 40km, and 1hr 10mins for the 10km run. So I guess the above targets are challenging enough for me to do all three in one go. See what I mean when I say I am SLOW? :)

Next week I am going to be in India, so it may affect my recent spate of good training weeks (see my training log side bar) - will be limited to only 5km or shorter runs in the gym. Things are just going CRAZY in India nowadays - huge growth in the economy means lots of fly-in business men and professionals trying to get a piece of the pie. Hotel prices have doubled AGAIN, and I will be spending USD$300 a night in New Delhi - which is probably more than what the majority in India will live on for a whole month! The sheer contrast in India between the haves and have nots never ceases to amaze me!!

EDIT (26/02/06):
  • Updated my weekly training log in the side bar. Off to New Delhi this evening - will try to take and post some photos if I get the chance. Was planning to do my kicking drills for this week before the flight, but as you can see from my training log I have missed that [Sorry Keith my mysterious swim guru buddy - not feeling too good after the run last night (feels a bit like indigestion - burping and all)].
  • What this also means is that it has been 2 weeks since I decided to try to get in 2 swims, 2 runs and a bike per week, and I have yet to be able to squeeze in the fifth training session somehow. With the India trip, this looks impossible for this week too. :( Will just do what I can and leave the outcome in God's hands.

8 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Slow is always relative - still looks fast to me! But at any speed, you rock! :-)

Cliff said...

Kewl,

China has the same problem too. The difference between rich and the poor is great.

I think your speed is fine...hey as long as u cross the finish line :)..

TriDaddy said...

Yeah, your time are fine I think. I wouldn't worry about bricks until you are closer to the race.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Thanks guys/gals for the kind encouragement. Will keep up the training efforts!

Papa Louie said...

Greetings! One of the important things about training is consistency. Since this will be your first Olympic distance your goal is to finish it at the level you build your strenght up to. Peace in Him!

Cliff said...

I got one more comment..

Who's that BIG KID on the left...ahhaha :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how triathlon timing correlates to marathon timing, so this may or may not apply.

When taking times from lower distance races, the math is almost always a factor greater a simple multiple (marathon time is more than 2 x half marathon time). I'll have to dig for some numbers. One thing you want to avoid is setting goals that most would see as unachievable, while maintaining the "stretch" part of the goal.

qcmier said...

Keep at it. Traveling for work is tough on the training. Too bad you can't bring your bike or pool with you too.