Saturday, December 03, 2005

Clip-On Aero Bars?

Sorry, but I need some expert advise from the "serious" bikers out there. Ok, I am one of those people who uses a road bike for Triathlons. Partly because road bikes are less expensive (pound for pound) and more available in Singapore, partly because I thought I was gonna continue my Saturday group rides (which has now kinda died away), and partly because I don't think I will ever do anything more than a Olympic Distance triathlon. Bottomline, I still love my Scott CR1 Team (I'll post a full review soon), and enjoy very minute of riding it, but I am starting to miss the clip-on aero bar on my old road bike - all said, they do offer a more comfortable and aerodynamic position which means a faster ride.

So my questions are
  1. Should I get one?
  2. If so, should I get a mini clip-on bar (like the DEDA Clip-on (pictured above), VisionTech Mini Clip-Ons or the Profile Design Jammer GT, or the Syntace XXS) or a "full size" clip-on bar (like the Profile Design Carbon Stryke or the Syntace C2 Clip)?
  3. And of course, which is the "best" (price/performance) from your collective experience?

Should I get one?

I think the answer here is pretty much a "yes". Having tried both with and without, I am pretty sure that I want one. Question is now (so I can use it to train), or when it is closer to July (so I can shop for a bargain on 2005 models - forgive me, Singaporeans are all bargain hunters). ;)

Mini or full-size clip on?

I am leaning towards a mini, as I don't want to mess around too much with my bike fit. I figure with a mini, I may not need to shorten my stem nor get a "forward" seat post, as I will not be reaching too far forward. I will just keep my bike fit as it and lower the stem by about an inch (which I have been planning to do anyway). This way, I figure that I probably can find a comfortable position both on the road bar and the clip-on - like I did on my old bike. Does this sound like a good idea?

Which one?

Ah, the toughest question. My priorities are: (1) Function (it's gotta work and not fall apart after a few miles), (2) Price (remember the "bargain hunter" bit?), (3) Weight, (4) Comfort (don't intend to go much further than Olympic Distances). I like the Syntace stuff in terms of construction and weight, but they are probably too expensive unless I can find a used set on ebay. 2nd option would be the Profile Design Jammer GT, but even they don't look "mini" enough (oh yes, I forgot that "looks" are important too). :) I kinda like the DEDA clip-ons (picture posted above), but can't seem to find them in Singapore.

HELP!

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Crap..there are differnt types? Full and mini?

I am considering of adding clip on for my road bikey too. Please let me know what u decided and what u learn :)

About that post I made from the book "Good to Great"..i feel exactly what u post....it is interseting how in a secular book...we can still see God's work and presence shine like a jewel...

tri-mama said...

I have a Syntace C2 (I think)-that is capable of bar end shifters-have one that came with it-I bought it on ebay last summer-it has new pads etc-I'd be happy to sell it to you for a bargain basement price-let me know if you want more info, I can post a pic if you would like.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hi Tri-MaMa,

OOPS! Sorry but I literally just came back 30 mins ago from the LBS where I placed an order for the Deda clip on! Been busy at work so have not been checking my blog frequent ebough. Sigh... It seems my lousy timing continues... :(

So sorry to miss the bargain... May be tough to ship the bars to Singapore anyway - I was looking in ebay and it seems no one ships out of USA.

Thanks for your very kind offer!