Thursday, September 29, 2005

My New Bike!

Finally, I have some time to take some pictures of my new bike. Yes, I promised myself a new carbon bike if I could complete a Sprint Tri and here it is – a stock standard 2005 Scott CR1 Team in size “XL”.

Why carbon?

Well, carbon actually makes a very good material for bicycle frames as they provide directional stiffness – the carbon fibers can be laid over in such a way as to provide varying stiffness in different directions – which in theory makes it possible to make a bicycle frame that is “stiff” (reduces power loss, improves handling) and yet “comfortable” by allowing some flex in crucial places. I say in theory because just like in car suspensions, stiffness/handling is usually the anti-thesis of comfort – a race/sports car is never as comfortable as a saloon car. Having said that, it really feels that an optimum balance between stiffness and comfort has been reached with the CR1 - it feels as comfortable as my old steel bike, but with sharper handling and faster sprints/climbs due to the much lighter weight.
In truth, another reason why I am so “fixated” on a carbon frame is that many, many years back when I was a young high school kid just getting into road racing, I would spend hours at the local bike shop drooling over the few exotic carbon bikes there, telling myself that one day I will ride one. I may never own a Ferrari, but this is one dream the Lord has graciously allowed me to fulfill! ;)

Why a Scott CR1 Team?

Once I narrowed the choice done to carbon frames, the next biggest consideration was…. budget. I soon learnt that it is cheaper to buy a “complete” bike than to try to assemble one at the local bike shop by choosing the frame, wheels, drive train, brakes, handle bars, etc, separately. In terms of drive train and brakes, I am very happy with my 17 year old Shimano 105 group, so there is really not much incentive to pay more for a pricier component group. So the criteria of carbon frame, 105 group and budget narrowed it down to either the Scott CR1 Team or the Giant Composite 3. I did briefly consider the Orbea Orca/Onix and Cervelo Soloist as well, but I found the former too expensive and the later a bit “dated” (okay, okay, truth is I could not get past the fact that the Soloist was not a carbon frame).So… between the Giant and the Scott, it basically boiled down to which local bike shop I trust for on-going support and service – I also decided to buy the bike from one of the bike shops nearby as I am too lazy to drive my bike to and from the bike shop for servicing. The local bike shop that helped “re-activate” my current old bike carries the Giant bikes, but did not inspire much confidence in the services they provided and the answers to my questions. There was one shop (Cycle Craft) that I felt most comfortable with in terms of price, quality of service and trustworthiness, and they only carried Scott, so in the end the choice was an easy one to make. As it turns out, the Scott CR1 Team costs a bit more than the Giant Composite 3, but has better wheels so in terms of cost effectiveness, they were on par – both are excellent value bikes.

Why a size “XL”?

This is a question I get quite a bit. I learnt another funny thing - bike size seems almost a religion with cyclists – it’s a very personal subject! I suppose after spending a few thousand bucks, no one wants to be told they have the wrong size. ;)
Ok, so bike frame sizing seems to be a mysterious blend of science, art, fashion and perhaps some superstitions. You will be able to find many books and websites on how to choose the right frame, but it kinda got too much for me. I am not planning to do ultra long rides and I am not a very serious racer, so I figure as long as it fits and I’m comfortable, fine and well. I basically fell back on two resources to decide my bike size – (1) My current bike size, and (2) the sizing tool on http://www.wrenchscience.com/. Scott only has sizes in S, M, L, XL, XXL so it was possible to find yourself in between two sizes and that’s what happened to me –I could either take a L or a XL. Most roadies in this situation would go for the smaller frame – lighter and more agile –but I decided in the end to buck the trend and go for the “XL” instead of the “L”. Why? I found the XL to be slightly closer to the measurements of (1) my current bike, and (2) http://www.wrenchscience.com/ sizing tool. Another reason is because I ain’t a vigorous, flexible youth anymore, and at my age, comfort rates higher than speed/agility/looks. ;) But what REALLY clinched it for me is that I felt it is what the Lord wanted me to get!

“WHAT?!?!?!” I hear you say, “Is God really interested in what size your bike is?!?!”. Well, I think so. I believe our God is not just a broad brush, high in the sky kinda God, He is a God of INFINITE love and wisdom who walks with us in our daily lives and cares about the intimate details of our lives. I truly believe that God is interested in every detail in our lives, that is part of what makes them an awesome God. Ok, there is actually a rather convoluted story behind why I believe God wants me to have a “XL”, so here goes…Following the thought process described earlier, I went to the bike store to get a “XL” but they claim that the bike is out of stock globally, as the bikes have all gone out to the bike shops that pre-ordered them earlier. Somehow, they managed to find a “L” and assured me that it would fit just fine. I also spoke to quite a few friends who all assured me that the “L” will fit. So I place my order, fork out the deposit, only to have them call me a week later to say “oops, sorry but some other bike shop beat us to getting the last size L”. I figure that perhaps it is not God’s will, so went to collect my deposit. I was also starting to think seriously about getting a Cervelo Soloist. When I was at the bike store, they offered me a triple chain ring size “L” (I ordered a double chain ring since Singapore is rather flat) for a little bit more than the agreed price. I told them “no thanks”, and rather than lose the business, the bike store was motivated to cover the costs of getting a triple chain ring and converting it to a double chain ring with no price impact to me. I was okay with that, so no change in plans.
I remember that after I got home, I sat down and prayed about it as I was feeling a little cheesed off and suspected that the bike store may not be 100% honest with me. While I was praying (more like complaining to God), it suddenly occurred to me that I should call them up to ask if they can get a “XL” triple chain ring (they seem to be in less demand than the double chain ring) instead since they are going to have to convert it anyway. Few days later, a happy bike store owner calls up to say that somehow they found a “XL” double chain ring model – win-win for all – I get the size I want and no conversion costs for them to bear! So I take this as a confirmation that the “XL” is what God wants me to have, and that’s cool by me. ;)

No comments: