Sunday, June 24, 2007

Week 10 - Missed Long Swim & New Running Gear


Yup, ol' nitrox sure has a lot of New Balance gear and now I have even more. Comes from having a TAS (Triathlon Association of Singapore) membership card which gives me 30% off retail price - hence the fuel belt above at $20 (USD$13) and the Lightning Dry (i.e. NB's version of Dri-Fit) cap at $15 (USD$10). I would've prefered a fuel belt with less bottles, but that's the only model they seem to have, and I can always carry less bottles. Best of all, I work near the New Balance warehouse, which explains this pair of discontinued New Balance RC330MR racing shoes for $35 (USD$23)! I was considering getting the RC1001BW but was put off by the $125.30 price (after discount) for a pair of shoes that I will only wear a few times a year (for races). Not sure if racing shoes will give me any advantage, but for $35, I'll give it a go. ;-)

Quick wrap up on Week 10 of 15 which is another 5/6 week:
  • Mon: Excursion to Sentosa with sis-in-law, T1 & T2.
  • Tues: Long Run - 14km. Longest ever! It felt good, no problem finishing.
  • Wed: Strength Training - Leg Lift, Leg Curl, Seated Row, Bent Elbow Lat Pull Down, Push-ups, Bicycle (Abs). Over-confident from the long run, I over-did the leg curl. OUCH!
  • Thurs: Tempo Run - 15 mins warm up, 18 mins tempo (10-10.2 km/hr), 15 mins cooldown. Very painful, paying the price for the leg curls.
  • Fri: Missed the planned swim (more below). :-(
  • Sat: Long Brick - 53km bike / 9km run. Very, slow and painful - not sure if it was the winds or tired legs, had to walk for 1:30 near the end of the run, but immensely glad that I completed it!
  • Sun: Swim Intervals (planned) right after the kids are in bed.
On the home front, Sis-in-law and her sons (T1 & T2) left yesterday and the house feels quiet. Funny how I never felt that way before with 2 boys in the house, but having 4 boys in the house has introduced a new level of activity that we have gotten used to. You would have thought that a middle aged guy would be over these things by now, but I miss them terribly. Especially when I know that I will not see them for the next 6-12 months . :-( I must confess that Fri night I got irritated about missing my swim intervals due to the many schedule changes that comes with visiting relatives, but now I am glad that I gave up the long run last week, and the long swim this week in lieu of time with my sis-in-law and T1 & T2. School starts in Singapore tomorrow, so it's life as usual - no more goofing off, late nights, excursions, and ice cream (except for weekends).

Tomorrow I go to India, so see you in a week, train safe and God Speed!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

$35 running shoes? That's an awesome deal! Wow!

You are quite the world traveller, aren't you? Enjoy your trip to India! Hope your training continues to go well.

Linda said...

I do kind of envy your world travels......and $35 running shoes!

qcmier said...

I bet those new shoes will make you feel light as a feather.

There are some things that are worth missing workouts for.

Safe travels.

Kewl Nitrox said...

:) What can I say, ol nitrox is a cheapo who loves a bargain.

Ok, got my missed swim (1.65km) done today (Mon). Now I am ready for my flight to India!

Unknown said...

Great bargain on those shoes, belt, and hat. Especially the shoes. Gotta' love a good bargain!!

Robin said...

nice job. i admire how you have kept the strength training in your plan this whole time. that is so important. once my half is over, i am going to focus more on that, too.

nice new gear! i bought a new pair of running shoes yesterday, too! (I needed them...) and I also bought a fuel belt last week for my 10 miler!! I LOVE IT! It is the BEST THING EVER, and I will be taking it with me on July 1st! In ffact, I loive it so much, I even took a picture of it for my blog...I only have a disaposable camera, so it is coming ---soon! :-)

Safe travels.

Comm's said...

India? Darn you travel a lot. You will have to tell me what you do other than spread the Good News.