Saturday, April 29, 2006

Recovery Week... AGAIN

First, I have to be a fair Dad again, and since I posted a picture of R1 in full armour in my last post, I'll just have to post a picture of R2 the stick fighter this time. :)

Sigh, last week's accidental recovery week has continued into this week due to travels and a minor cold, which I somehow caught in the dry heat of Delhi. Is that even possible - to catch a cold in 45C(113F) weather?!?!

A few things happened this week that really humbled me:

  • Early in the week, I was heading out the door to the office, stressed out about the lack of training, and pretty much determined to have a rotten day at work, when I ran into my neighbours Mr & Mrs L bringing their 20-something daugther to the hospital again. She had contracted leukemia early last year and was on a wheel chair swaddled in blankets on a hot 86F day. Mr L was wearing a back brace, as he is in his 60s and is probably having backaches from regularly carrying his daugther in the wheelchair up and down the stairs. Mrs L was helping him, and when I said "Good Morning" and offered to help, they both gave me their usual beautiful smile and insisted that they can manage. To say that that was an awakening for me would be an understatement. Here I was, wallowing in self-pity about missing some training sessions, while there they were, exuberating the Lord's joy and peace in the midst of a protracted and terrible test. I drove off with a fresh resolve to not sweat the small stuff and to re-commit to prayer support for this beautiful family.


  • Delhi is well into its hot and dry season. I arrived at night when it was an uncomfortably warm 35C (95F), and woke up to 45C (113F) in the morning. As you can see, it was a beautiful morning and even the pigeons outside my window did not seem to mind the heat that much. But the heat and dust combined gave me a scratchy throat and not the most pleasant of dispositions as I headed out in the car to the office. Right outside the hotel, we passed one of those colourful water trucks (looks similar to the petrol tanker that I took a picture of last time), surrounded by women and children out to get their (daily/weekly?) ration of clean water. I did not manage to take a picture this time, but I found this picture on Google that pretty much represents the chaos around that water truck. Again, it caused me to think about things we have come to take for granted and about the sheer contrast of lifestyles in India. In the hotel, there is a full sized pool, hot/cold running water, a shower and a bath in every room. Right outside the hotel grounds, these families living right in the capital of India (not even in the remote villages) have to depend on the morning water run for clean water. Suffice it to say that I now have a whole new appreciation of the clean, clear water that gushes out when I turn the taps at home.


  • Last but certainly not least, I made fun of Steven when he posted about catching a cold. And of course I now have similar symptoms. :( And then Steven goes and run a scorching 6.2-miles in 38:08 @ 6:09/m pace on his 42nd birthday (while recovering from the cold). I am well and truly humbled. Go on over and wish the ol' fart a Happy Birthday! ;)

To the rest of you out there able to continue training, train safe and God Speed! I'll be out there before you know it. :P

9 comments:

Deb said...

No morning person huh? pretty impressive considering your 2 little guys (adorable I'll add!). If anything can change your clock....it's having small kids.
Awesome post.. being humbled. God's way of tapping us on the shoulder? I will keep your neighbors in my prayers. I understand what it takes to be a caregiver, it's not easy. All the things we easily take for granted. The biggest crime would be to look the other way. AWARE...that is what we should be. Take care of that cold so you can stop pretending you have a reason not to train ;).

Rachel said...

what's with everyone getting sick at the same time? Stop it! Be healthy! I thought exercise was supposed to be good for you...

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Hope your feeling better soon. Great pics as always.

Papa Tweet said...

That post really puts things in perspective. Thanks
Benny

qcmier said...

Thanks for the perspective. Hope you get over that cold quick.

Chris said...

Steven is just not human.

Hope you feel better soon!

D said...

A very good post to remind us all to appreciate what we have and not take anything for granted. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thank you for your comment.... I was truly thinking during my run it was the Hills - 1 and DGC - 0!!

Iron Pol said...

I could probably d0 6-minute miles.

Falling from an airplane...

Travelling from place to place to place as you are might provide some explanation for feeling less than 100%.

Steven said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Kewl!
And, by the way, that dang cold turned into a sinus infection...but I'm all better now. ;)
Welcome back to the land of the training!