Thursday, April 13, 2006

Update from India

1st and foremost, kudos to Iron Benny for his amazing result in IMAZ! Hurry over to his blog to see his incredible transformation from couch potato to HUNK. :)


This is the view I had for 20mins yesterday while I was stuck in the car. Peak hour traffic in Delhi has not changed, and I was sitting in the car looking at all the dodging and weaving, thinking "man... this is like space invaders" when "BUMP" - the driver had a minor accident. The accident seemed to be the highlight of everyone's day so a small crowd quickly gathered. Meanwhile, I was observing this enterprising young man run his lemonade stall - 1/2 Rupee (USD 0.01) for a glass of cold water, mixed with fresh lemon juice and some sugar. Such stalls are very common in Delhi and I must say they make a lot of sense in a hot and dry city (40 degrees C, 104 derees F) where there are no water coolers. The guy had about 10 customers in the 20 mins, so that literally adds up to a pretty penny indeed! :)

Noticed this in the cafe this morning at breakfast. Anyone wanna guess what this is?

Give up?

This is a mosquitoe coil. We use this in Singapore sometimes too, but this is the 1st time I have ever seen one in a restaurant. :) Basically, you light the end and it slowly burns down (like an incense) and releases some pleasant smelling smoke that drives the mossies away. A cost effective and environmentally friendly alternative to insecticide! :)


Today's trivia about India is KingFisher beer. ;) It tastes good and it is the only beer that has spawned an airline! How's that for audacity? Step aside Mr Branson. :P Another bit of totally useless trivia about KingFisher - they seem to be arbituarily bottled in a clear bottle (like this one I had 2 nights ago) or a dark bottle. Absolutlely no difference except for the bottles. Go figure!

Managed to squeeze in a 5km run in the gym last night despite the long working days/nights, so I am feeling a bit less guilty about that ONE beer I had. :) Take care everyone - train safe and God Speed!

9 comments:

Cliff said...

I only feel guilty when I have more than one beer :D..

Yes that was a mosquitoe thing. We have it back in Hong Kong too. Thanks for your comment in my blog Kewl...i was very glad God gave me the wisdom to connect all those ideas. Now things start to make a bit more sense.

Steven said...

Having a beer (or two!) is not a reason to feel guilty. Beer has carbs! You are carb loading for the next workout.
Enjoy it.

qcmier said...

I'm with Cliff; I only get guilty after I polish off my second, or third, or so beer. I've seen Kingfisher beer, but never had it. Any good?

Anonymous said...

As I get further into triathlon training, the concept of diet will probably become a bigger issue. For marathons, it's primarily watching the diet a bit, and carbo loading properly.

Reading Iron Benny's comment about diet really highlights that diet gains ever more importance as you raise the level of play.

I have like 2 beers a year, so never feel to guilty. Soda is a different story...

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I'm with Steven. Think of the beer as carb loading...lol.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Cliff, He has promised wisdom in James 1:5 and our God does not lie. The beautiful thing is that His wisdom (as opposed to the world's wisodm) brings peace and joy. God Speed your journey of self discovery!

Susan, only if it is dry. Dry martinis are like dark chocs - they don't count. ;)

Steven/Dawn, thanks for the excellent excuse. Think I will do a bit more carb loading tonight. :P

qcmier, I am not a sophisticated beer drinker, but I do enjoy the local beers when I travel. KingFisher is very nice with spicy food!

Tom, you gotta watch those sodas, they sneak up on ya! Try diet soda?

Rachel said...

I love the pics. They're awesome. We used to use citronella torches in St. Louis for the bugs. They really work and are great for ambience!

Chris said...

Man, that guy at the stand works HARD for his money!

Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»