Monday, April 03, 2006

Rained Out

This is my excuse for not being able to complete my 5-training-session-week. Not the usual shower or drizzle but the type of tropical downpour that creates flash floods! :(

A quick run-down of the week then (more details in side bar):
  • Mon - Ran 5km in the office gym during lunch
  • Tues - Swam 1.4km before leg cramps made me stop
  • Wed - Ran 10.3km in light rain out at the park
  • Sat - Swam 1.5km in record time (wanted to do kick drills, but forgot to bring my kickboard)

Wait a minute, did I say "record time"? :) Yup, I sure did. For some weird reason, I was 4-5mins faster over 1.5km when I used the 50m pool at my friend's club. Can't think why - I have been focusing less on SPEED and more on ENJOYING the swim lately (finally figured life on earth is too short to waste on doing stuff I don't enjoy), but surely that can't make a 10% difference in speed? Only plausible explaination I can think of is that the pool where I live is a bit longer than the 25m that I had assumed - would probably explain why I was actually faster swimming in open water than in the pool. Will have to try another 50m pool somewhere else before I can be sure, but this is one mistake that I am very excited about. ;) Now if only I had the same mistake with my run and bike distances... :P


Those of you who read my last posts would remember that I intended to get R2 a proper bike so he doesn't have to be a passenger on my bike in our weekly races. Well, R1 got tired on Sat on the ride home, so I put R1 on my bike and let R2 try his brother's bike. He went fantastically (see picture on right)... Then we came to a slight slope with a sharp curve and poor R2 fell face first into a (very) shallow ditch! The poor boy came up with a mouthful of dirt, scratches on his face, and a cut upper lip (both inside and out). Boy, he was not amused that his Dad forgot that 3 year olds can't really pull back hard enough on the brake levers - that's why they make kid's bikes with castor brakes! I was tempted to show you a pic of the damage, but that would be too cruel, so take my word that he is not a happy camper.

Next week I head to India (again), so I plan to cramp in as many training sessions as I can this week before India. Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

heh heh yr swim progress sounds really good! keep it up!! :)

Cliff said...

Kewl,

It happens. I fell alot when I bike as a kid. Ha, in fact, i still fall sometimes now :)

D said...

Poor baby. I hope he is alright! Nice job on the swim!

Migofast said...

Longer pool = less pauses for turns? Great job!

Rachel said...

Quite a downpour. Very good excuse (we San Diegans are wimps). Congrats on the faster swim time! Poor R2! Falling definitely sucks.

Robin said...

Just like the great pic of R1 in the swim mask, this pic of R2 is precious! TOO CUTE, I tell you! And too bad he fell. I am sure he'll be OK. getting the fera of falling done with now, I see ;)