Monday, April 02, 2007

HELP! 17 weeks to My 1st Olympic Distance Triathlon!

Okay, here's where the rubber hits the road... I have only 17 weeks to my 1st Olympic Distance Triathlon and something akin to panic is just about setting in...

Been trying to put together some sort of training plan, and discovered that I have SO MANY questions! I have been reading Joe Friel's book and also the "12 weeks to a Olympic Distance PR" series of articles in the last 2 issues of Triathlete Magazine, but it seems the more I read, the more confused I become! So I am rather desperately appealing to the collective wisdom of the athelete's in blogsphere to PLEASE give me some pointers.

First my current state:
  • 3-4 kgs above my target race weight of 80kg/176lbs (1.85m/6ft), which shows up in the embarassing bulges above and below my cycling tights. :-(
  • The "W13" (Week 13) row in the table below shows what I did last week.I am reasonably confident of completing the O.D. Tri, but I think I need to work on both my endurance and speed.
  • In the area of endurance, I probably need to focus on the run (longest run yet prior to falling sick was only 12km).
  • In the area of speed, my 1.5km swim is about 40mins, 50km ride (flat course) takes just short of 2 hours, and I need something like 1:10 to run 10km, and we are talking about doing each event FRESH. :-(
My current plan:
  • Taking into account the training time I have, I will aim for 2 X swim, 3 X run, 1 x bike, 2 x strength training a week.
  • For the swim and run, I will have a intervals or drills session per week to build speed, and one aerobic session per week to build endurance.
  • I intend to keep it simple and make a rough weekly plan as follows:
    Mon: Run (Intervals), Strength Training
    Tues: Swim (Aerobic)
    Wed: Run (Aerobic)
    Thurs: Strength Training
    Fri: Swim (Drills/Intervals - will alternate between the two, drills one week and intervals the next)
    Sat: Bike/Run (Brick)
    Sun: Rest
  • With the amount of travelling in my job, there will probably be more than a little shifting and doubling up missed work-outs.

The table below shows my targeted distances:

And now finally, my long list of questions:

  1. Do the Run:Interval distances look right to you? Should I be doing anything longer than 3km x 4 Intervals for an Olympic Distance Tri?
  2. Do the Bike and Run:Brick distances look right to you? Do I need to go beyond 64km rides for an Olympic Distance Tri? How about the run? I was thinking that running 12km after my ride will help boost my confidence to finish the event...
  3. Should I be focusing more on repeating bricks in the last week - i.e. instead of 64km bike / 12 km run, should I be doing 20km bike / 5 km run X 3?
  4. Is it a good idea to do a full mock race (i.e. 1.5km swim / 40km bike / 10km run)? If so, when's a good time to do that?
  5. Do the Run:Aerobic distances look right to you? Should I be doing more than 15km for an Olympic Distance event?
  6. Do the Swim:Aerobic distances look right to you? Should I be doing more than 2km or so for an Okympic Distance event"?
  7. What am I supposed to do in the rest weeks? Do I do the same number of sessions (i.e. 3 runs, 2 swims, 1 bike, 2 strength) and reduce the intensity/distance in each, or do I allow myself to miss a few sessions (e.g. instead of 3 runs, do only 2 but at the same target distances as a training week)?
  8. What am I supposed to do in the taper weeks? Is 2 weeks for taper too much or too little?

Sorry to be inundating you with all these questions, but please forgive the procastinations of this middle-aged Novice Master Triathlete and share some of your valuable insights with me and other would-be triathletes out there!

While I am at it, please allow me one LAST question. :-) This here is ol' nitrox's steed: a Scott CR1 Team, full carbon frame road bike which came standard with Shimano 105 group set and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels. As pictured, I have added a zero off-set seat post, Arione Tri saddle, and a Deda clip-on bar since getting it in Sep 2005. I've been thinking of giving myself some extra motivatin for the O.D. Tri, so here's the question: What is a better investment? Upgrading my 105 group to Ultegra, or getting a pair of 'em sexy Flash-Point FP60 wheels?

Thanks again Guys & Gals, and until next time, train safe and God Speed!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I had answers for you, but I don't. I'll be rooting and praying for your training to go well.

tri-mama said...

I love the picture of your kids! look for my email answers.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Thanks Rob/Tri-Mama, you are too kewl!

Iron Pol said...

Just in case anyone else will benefit, here's my two cents worth.

1. From what I've seen, you're better off doing a shorter race in preparation for the Olympic than to do an actual Olympic distance event.

2. Regardless of distances, you should keep your speedwork to around 30 minutes total per week. Much more and you risk injury. You might do one session with about 15 minutes of strides and another with 15 total minutes of 5K pace intervals. E-mail if you'd like more details.

3. Coach Mike (at the moment, at least) only has one assigned brick per week. Long bike, medium run.

4. 15K is probably reasonable for preparation for an OD event. Remember, you're doing lots of other aerobic workouts. If you add a bit more, it won't hurt, so long as you don't increase mileage too quickly.

5. Rest weeks - reduce volume/intensity. Keep roughly the same workout schedule. If you miss workouts, this might be a good time.

6. If the Olympic distance is your A race, three weeks might be better. However, as this is a shorter (relative term) event, two weeks is probably okay. The last week before the event, training should be minimized. Second week prior, it is cut back, like a rest week. I can give more detail via e-mail. The key point is to give yourself time to rest and recover.

Papa Louie said...

Just stick to the training schedule and believe in it to take you through to the finish. Since this is your first O.D. race focus on having fun and relaxing. I don't think you should be concerned with the clock.

Nancy Toby said...

It looks like you're going at it hard by that schedule!! The plan looks kind of complicated to me, though. I'd keep it simple and focus on run, bike, and swim! :-) Since your time is limited, I'd cut out the strength training entirely now and use that time to focus on doing 1 long session and 1-2 shorter, more intense sessions in each discipline each week.

If I did a practice tri it would be a shorter distance than an Olympic.

Also don't forget to do a couple sessions of practicing your transitions!

Taper week I'd probably progressively cut down your number of sessions and intensity both towards race day - whatever it takes to go into race day fresh and well-rested.

Don't forget that lots of sleep and recovery days are VERY important, too!!

Nancy Toby said...

Oh, yeah, I've got an Olympic in 7 weeks too - and I want to get in 2 or 3 50-mile/80 km rides before then at a leisurely pace. You might try that - makes the race bike leg seem a lot shorter!!

Cliff said...

Kewl,

Woah, u had me working on reading your blog during my vacation? :)

Do note I never done a Olympic distance tri before. I just skipped it and jump onto a HIM instead.

1. I never really done run intervals before so no comment on that one. Use your own judgement. if they are too hard, bailed or shorten the intervals.

2. I say bike up to 66 km (6 km is not a big deal on a bike). Run more definitely will boost your confidence in the race.

3. I would be caution in mixing distance plus intensity (say 20k/5 k intervals).

4. If u have time, i say do it. Or at least do a portion of it. Say do full swim distance and half bike and full run distance (me assuming swim and run is weakest of the three).

5. I see why not. If u can handle it, yes.

6. If u swim 3km, u will be super confidence for the race. See if u can spend sometime swimming open water in a group setting. Get use to being comfy with swimming in contact through the whole distance. Also get use to sighting, breathing with rolling waves and drafting.

7. Rest. Some say drop to 1/3 of your training volume. I will say if u feel like take two day rest/week instead of one.

8. U have to read up on that. I took a 2 week taper for HIM. Do note that it is better to be more rest than not rest enough.

Joe Friel recommend building up to 3 weeks and drop on the fourth.

In wk 25 where u started off with 15.3 km long run and 64.1 long bike, maybe it is better to start off with something less and you build it up.

So in wk 17, wk 21, and wk 25, I would start off with less volume. And gradually i would increase the distance so that in wk 19, wk 23, and wk 28, I would be hitting the maximum volume. And then after working my butt off...guess what? rest week is right after...sweet :)

Since u were a roadie, i don't see u having a problem of riding longer. Why not hit a century ride? (If u have time that is).

Last note from my own experience. If u have to bail on your traning, bail on the strength training. Yor brick, run aerobic and swim aerobic are your key training. Work on your nutrition as well.

Have a blast ;)...I am still learnig all of this.

Cliff said...

Going to keep this 2nd post short.

Do note that things will never go as plan. So if u have to bail on training for emergency (family, church, work)...deal with it. But looking at you going over distance, u should have no problem with this.

Also keep your schedule tight and loose. Tight in discipline but loose when you need to (say too hard too on intervals...reduce it etc).

You know your body better than anyone else..so don't be too tight on the training b/c some book say so. Try it..if it doesn't work, change.

tryathlete said...

The training distances for all disciplines look right to me. I don't think you need to do anything longer than 3km intervals for the run though. I might even suggest forget the 3km intervals, do more 1km (in about 3:45 - 4:15) intervals. For me, intervals should be fast, like a sustained push, and I think my body tends to relax too much doing a 3km interval. Or why not do (like they do in NS) 2.4km runs within your Cat-Y(?) time?

Tammy said...

It would take a long time, and several more questions to make concrete recommendations for you. Just from what I read I would say that if endurance is a factor, focus on that first and foremost. Don't worry about your weight, just eat healthy/smart... it's more important to fuel your workouts and recoveries at this point than to cut calories. One other thing, you can gain a lot of endurance on the bike, while running is very hard on the body. In addition, fitness gained on the bike can transfer to the run, and not vice versa. More bike, less run. That's all I got. You'll do fine... get your nutrition and mental focus trained up, too.

Cute kids!!! :)

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Whew! You will be MORE than prepared!
17 weeks is a long, long time.
As far as getting faster without extra work, spend $150 or $200 on an aero helmet. The geniuses at the MIT wind tunnel said the helmet is just as effective as the $1800 deep-v race wheels.
I'm a classic "undertrainer", but I do longer endurance stuff, so maybe my advice won't apply.
Weekly workouts for me are:
SWIM - 2x - 1 hour each drill/ interval/ long timetrial assortment.
BIKE - 2x - 1 speed/hill efforts; 1 slow/long stopping to eat at gas stations or pubs
RUN - 2x - 1 hour speed/drill/or tempo; 2-3 hour long comfortable run
STRENGTH - 2x - 1 hour each with personal trainer who knows I do endurance sports
RECOVERY - always, at least one and usually two days of rest.
NUTRITION - recovery drink after the long or hard ones.

taper - I taper for 3 weeks prior to race day, but my races are longer, so maybe 2 weeks is good.

The one key point I did not hear, is "what is your goal?" to finish with a smile or to race?

Sixteen Chickens said...

I can't give you any advice, just moral support! Go Nitrox! I have faith that you can do this.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Thanks all, for the incredible response. Each and every comment spoke to me and is a source of advice/encouragement for me.

Apologies for not making my goal clear. Will amend my post to reflect this. The short is that this is my 1st O.D. Tri, but I do have a time target of 2 X my last Sprint Tri timing in 2005.

Initial reactions: I may have gone overboard with the training plan - too complex and too rigid. I think it may end up more as a "guide" than a rigid time-table. Already I have missed yesterday's Strength Training as I was feeling tired after the Intervals...

Tri-Dummy said...

I'll be sending you an email in a couple of days...sorry work is KILLING me!

If you're going to spend the money...i'd get the wheels, as they'll transfer to a new bike when you get one!

Unknown said...

now you are making *me* panic as mine is about 10weeks earlier than yours...

Anonymous said...

I can't help you with your tri-training. . . Good luck, though!

I wanted to tell you that on Sunday I thought of you as we sang the line about "dancers who dance upon injustice." I remember you referring to that in a previous post. I said a prayer for you and was somewhat overwhelmed by the connections Christians can have from across the world. Pretty cool, if you ask me. :)