Friday, April 20, 2007

Week 1 of 15

The inaugral week of my 15 week Olympic Distance Triathlon training plan has gone reasonably well, considering that I was off track from day one due to work commitments:
  • Mon: Plan - Run Intervals. Actual - Unplanned rest day due to work commitments.
  • Tues: Plan - Swim 1.5km. Actual - Run Intervals (4 X 1km run, 500m recovery).
  • Wed: Plan - Run 10km. Actual - Swim Intervals (6 X 110m, 30 sec recovery).
  • Thurs: Plan - Strength Training. Actual - Run 10km (on dreadmill, due to heavy rain), Strength Training.
  • Fri: Plan - Swim Interval. Actual - Swim 1.65km.
  • Sat (tomorrow): Plan - Bike 52.5km / Run 4.5km
  • Sun: Rest

So in short, I managed to catch up on the week's training plan today (Fri) and hope to get in the Bike/Run tomorrow as planned to make it a 6/6 training week. :) I am feeling a bit tired as I have not done so many sessions in a week before, but still hopeful that I will stick to my 15 week plan.

Judging by how much fun R2 had with the neighbour's pedal kart, the need for speed must run in the family. I have been reading about speedwork in Triathlete Magazine and have decided to follow their "ladder system", which means starting with much shorter intervals (100m X 6) and gradually increas the interval durations. Apparently it increases neuromuscular capacity so that this ol' brain can fire off more muscle fibers when fatique sets in... Sounds good to me! :)

Met an ol fren 2 days ago. We have not met in years so he has not seen the new, lean me...

  • Ol' Fren: What happened to you? You lost so much weight! Are you sick?
  • Ol' Nitrox: Em... No... I have been exercising.
  • Ol' Fren: But you LOOK sick. Is everything okay? You can tell me, it's okay.
  • Ol' Nitrox: I have been doing some triathlon training.
  • Ol' Fren: I have never seen anyone do triathlons and lose so much weight. They tend to stay the same size and just do triathlons. Are you sure you are healthy?
  • Ol' Nitrox: Buddy, I assure you that I am very healthy (exasperation made me say it). It's normal to lose weight when you train 5-6 times a week.
  • Ol' Fren: 5-6 times a WEEK?!?! Is something wrong? It sounds like an obsession. Why are you so obsessed with it?
  • Ol' Nitrox: I guess I'm just the kind of guy that likes to put 100% in what I do. I think guys that play golf put more hours into golf than I do.
  • Ol' Fren: Ya, but they don't do it everyday! Are you sure you are okay?

Sigh.... Some people just DON"T GET IT. In hindsight, I could have talked about the freedom and fullness of life that Christ came to give us. Ol' Nitrox has always had blindingly brilliant hindsight. Sigh... Until next time, train safe and God Speed, y'all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the recap of your conversation with your friend. Too funny. The non-exercisers out there do think we are sick. ;) Train on, obsessed one! :)

Unknown said...

Well done on the training so far this week. I look forward to following the 15 week journey.

Cliff said...

First week u already have noticeable change. I can't wait till the last week :)

Robin said...

Hey -- I am catching up on your blog!! Sorry I wasn;t around to give my two cents a few posts back...but i'm no expert anyway. I love the pics of your kids. You are definitely blessed.

And YAH! Some people do NOT get it! You are correcto!

But we do, so please keep posting!

:-)