Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Character Building Week

Sorry, I am reporting late on the week past again, and yes, it was a "character building" week. You know those weeks where you come back from being away from training and it takes an extra effort to get out the door, and even more effort to finish the tail end of the workout? That's been my week. "Character building" sounds a lot betta than "painful", doesn't it? :-)
  • Mon: Still recovering from the last virus attack
  • Tues: I knew it would be painful character building getting back, so decided to jump in the deep end and start with intervals in the office gym - only managed to do 4 of the 5 planned 1km intervals.
  • Wed: Just in case there is more character building I have to get out of my system, I did a 10km run. Yes, it was slow and uncomfortable, but I got it done.
  • Thurs: In Indonesia, and I rested.
  • Fri: In Indonesia, but managed to get in some character building strength training in the hotel gym on Fri morning.
  • Sat: Family day, so I went for a very easy bike ride with R1 & R2. This time, R2 decided to ride his own bike with training wheels (instead of being ferried on my bike) and got a good workout in the 7km or so ride. R1 claims that he did not even really work up a sweat. :)
  • Sun: 50km ride / 5km run. This was easily the highlight of the week. I have steadfastly refused to name my bike, but I am starting to understand why many do, because I was so proud of my steed - we caught up with a young guy riding a Cervelo P3C and managed to keep up with him! Sure, he kept pulling away but we kept catching him at the lights. ;-) Not often that I can say that about someone half my age (okay, maybe 2/3) riding a bike that costs twice as much as mine, so I'll take life's little victories as they come. :-D

While on the subject of character building, my car got towed to the workshop for the second time in 7 months. :-( Seems it is the clutch this time as the transmission was slipping very badly. The mechanic was kind enough to let me use a flaming red Mazda 3 in the meantime - it sure is humbling to see the Nitrox clan getting excited to exchange the family mover to the loaner. ;-) I am bracing myself for when I have to tell R2 that we are returning the shiny new car...

In the same vein, I have had to return my flashy test phone as it has now been productised. So there may be no more kewl pics from me for a while until I get my paws on another test phone.

OK, that's probably enough "character building" news for now. Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, yes, I can relate to the character building workouts. In fact, I'm psyching myself up to get out the door for one right now. :) As I run today, I will keep in mind that I am building character. Thanks! :)

tryathlete said...

Wah! New car!

I wonder what the COE is like on that thing.

Tri-Dummy said...

See if you can get your hands on a fully carboned out tri-bike to do some...uh...character building...yah...that's it!

Robin said...

I love the character building phrasing -- I will remember that one!!!! PLus, you need to remember it's not so much teh bike but the person in (& out of -haha) the saddle!! Nice job on Sunday to the both of you (you & the bike)!!!

PLus, I never think of the camera on my phone to take pix; will nee dto try that. I have used it, though, but never downloaded them -- they sit on my phone.

nice job getting your self back on track after your illness.

Unknown said...

character building...i'll remember that next time.