Friday, December 01, 2006

Triathlete's Training Bible

Thanks to Mr Sanguine, I finally have my hands on this book. And hopefully just in time to do some serious mugging in the next couple of weeks and work out some sort of training plan for 2007. I have yet to set goals for 2007 - was waiting to read the book first - but I definitely want to do at least one one Olympic Triathlon in 2007, and, if I am feeling ambitious (which I must say currently I am not), maybe even a half ironman.

N, my "speedy Gonzales" buddy who ran the New Balance 10km run with me in August, has kindly volunteered to join me in the Oly Tri in July, and we agreed to decide on Ironman 70.3 Singapore "depending on how we feel after the Oly Tri". While that might be pushing the decision a little too far away, registration is not open yet for Ironman Singapore 70.3 so I think I will take at least a couple of months before I make that decision...

I have been on a training "slump" due to a cold and then a nasty infection in my gums. Next week is church camp away in Malaysia (probably no Internet access), so it looks like it is "maintenance and self-study" mode until week after for me. Until then, train safe my friends and God Speed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know how that books is. I have some BIG training goals for 2007 too!

Cliff said...

Kewl,

There is another book I definitely think you want to pick up.

It is call Breakthrough Triathlon Training by Brad Kearns. Excellent read. He talks more about balancing lifestyle and the prob he see most triathletes tryign to cram everything into their schedule and blow themlseves up.

I think you will enjoy it. It is a very easy read.

http://bradventures.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=128

Anonymous said...

Excellent book about training for triathlon. But as Cliff alludes, it does insinuate that triathlon is your life and that getting faster and/or going longer and/or both is your single-most goal in life. Otherwise, a great reference for how the body works and why you do what you do to get in shape and improve.

But I think I'll take a look at Cliff's book, as well Kearn's blog over on Amazon.com.

Robin said...

Ha! I posted my latest entry today and I'm now reading your entry here. OK, I think waiting to see how you do in the Oly is a good idea. However, what if Singapre 70.3 is Full by then? Will it be? If so, I say just go for it! Goal is to finish -- no time! IT'll be fun! If it won;t be full by the time you up for finish your 1st Oly tri, then you've got a good idea. I had to sign up for Timberman, as it will def. be full. Plus, now that will serve as my motivation. Have fun in Malaysia. Tell me how teh book is--I want to scoop up a copy, too. in 2007....

Iron Pol said...

Kewl, only you can judge where you might be by the time the half IM rolls around. On the other hand, you have control of where you can be by then.

Sign up for the Olympic distance as soon as possible. You can already complete that with no worries. I seem to recall not too far back that your swim sets made my head spin. So the Olympic distance is no issue.

Start your training, see how the focus goes, and then you'll be able to determine if the half is within reason given your schedule.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, if you wait a few years, maybe I'll do Singapore 70.3 too. Or you could go ahead and do it next year and detail it for me.