Saturday, July 08, 2006

Treasures in Heaven...

R1 & R2 painted these nice cups (pots?) in their art class - R1 did the pot on the right (those are aeroplanes, by the way) while R2 did the pot on the left with flowers. Amazing what kids get up to in art class nowadays, I'm not sure if I even started using crayons at their age! :)

The beautiful cups and Matthew 23:25 today reminded me to be REAL to myself and to God. To what extent am I like the Pharisees - cups that are washed and clean on the outside, but hiding all kinds of dirt inside?

This week my intentional discipleship challenge is how REAL is it to me that my treasures are supposed to be in heaven?

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

"And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will have eternal life. But many who seem to be important now will be the least important then, and those who are considered least here will be the greatest then." Matthew 19:29-30

Such a simple concept, yet one that is so difficult to practice in this "real" world (I say "real" becoz I believe the spiritual controls the material, which kinda puts a different spin on what is real - the spiritual or the material world?).

In "real" terms: Do I continue to be obssessed about the promotion at work that I feel really deserve (to be honest, in my pride, I felt I deserved that promotion a year ago, but that's another story)? Do I continue to let the bitterness in me grow and allow the inner voice to keep telling me that I can do a better job than those above me? Or do I truly work with all my heart, as for the Lord and not for men (Colossians 3:23)?

Am I really able to take the high road, which means to STOP TRYING so hard in my own "cleverness" to secure my own job, get the promotion but instead to put my whole heart in contributing to my employers, to accelerate the growth of my team members - even if it means empowering them so they have the chance to learn/grow at my personal expense of extra effort and opportunity cost of fixing their mistakes, even if it means helping them to "catch up" and surpass me? In the uncertainty surrounding the impending merger, do I stop sitting in the seat of mockers (Psalms 1:1) and not allow the negativity to get to me, and instead be a voice of encouragement and hope?

I think the question behind all that is really: DO I TRUST GOD ENOUGH TO LET GO? Indeed do I REALLY believe God when He says that He is a good God who will make it all worthwhile in the end? If I REALLY do, then the answer to the above is YES.

Have a safe training weekend guys & gals, and God Speed your endeavers. I will be swimming and biking this weekend.

10 comments:

Cliff said...

Good thoughts Kewl,

I was thinking about the high road, free will and God's will.

This afternoon i was thinking...why do we need to take the high road? Why do I do it?

At work or school or life in general, we see ppl who take short cuts and get ahead in life. That is so tempting to do so. I mean, why not do it if everyone else is doing it. And sometimes I think God does let ppl like that get ahead in a way to test us. I mean, if everyone get rewards by ONLY taking the high road, then the idea of free will really goes out the door. We will be like dogs who only do tricks b/c we know we ill get a treat.

Your thoughts remind me of Job. He has every reason to curse God. Yet, he didn't. He took the high road. He whine about it (which I think anyone in his case would). Yet he still give Him praise.

Cliff said...

oh yeah....my conclusion of my thoughts..i will take the high road anyday...i focus on my heavenly treasure, taking the high road becomes easier.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Well said Cliff! If we keep our eyes on the Kingdom of God, it's becomes easier to take the high road.

Deb said...

The fact that you're 'aware' is huge. Taking the high road can be tough, but I honestly know few other things more rewarding. To be able to extend grace as well as receive it...to pay it forward. I love Mother Teresa's quote: "Each one of them is Jesus in disguise." Think if we all put that into action! YIKES!! ;)

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Let go. Let God.

An easy phrase but a difficult concept. And how would you actually let go? What would it look like? I struggle with that.

Good luck.

Unknown said...

Great post Kewl! Definitely a topic that I struggle with daily.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I bet you don't have to look very far for the answer. It's as close as your heart.

Stay tuned...

qcmier said...

Practicing faith everyday is not easy. Thanks for helping me out with that.

Trifrog said...

I log quotes in my datebook so I see the same quote again in 90 days. Up until your great post, I had reserved those quotes from famous people and authors. But your words about the struggle of letting go so that God can work in your life are so eloquent that I cannot pass up the chance to 'come across' these words again in a couple months. Thanks.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Really thought-provoking, and kind of along the same lines as my post "Questions..." I like what you said in your comment to me, that when you prioritize God everything else seems to fall into place. "Seek first the kingdom of God and all else shall be given unto you besides."

I feel I need to be accountable to someone to do that. Someone. Somehow. Because I tend to say, "Yeah, yeah, thanks Lord, little help here maybe?" and then go about my business. Which reminds me of another showstopper from the Lord while He was still a child: "Why were you searching everywhere for me? Did you not know I would be about my father's business?"

Looks like whatever we're looking for can be found in the same place.