Friday, July 14, 2006

Just call me Aquaman!

(If you just asked "Who's Aquaman?" I can only say "Young man/lady, this was a popular action hero back in my time...")

First a quick thanksgiving - my back (left shoulder blade) is much better now and I am back to swimming and pull-ups. My toe is also much betta - there seems to be some clear water-like discharge but it doesn't hurt much and I'm back to running too. Thanks for the prayers and praise God for His healings!

OK, I am totally stoked becoz on Wed, I went out and swam 2.2km!! Which is a HUGE distance for me, given that prior to this I have not swam beyond 1.6km or so, EVER. This was made all the more dramatic by the fact that I swam in my dinky little 27.5m apartment pool (yes, I finally measured it) - started at dusk and literally swam till it got dark and the lights came on. :D I focused on staying loose, smooth entry, smooth strokes, slow kicking, just ENJOYING the swim - I think the swim drills are really helping (Thanks Keith and James!). I took 55:26 to finish the swim, but I was not as winded/exhausted as I normally am after a shorter swim! This really boosts my confidence about the O.D. (Olympic Distance) Tri next year, maybe I can even do a Long Course (starts with 2km swim)? :))

On Thurs though, reality came crashing down on me when I went for my 5km "tempo" run. I can do this in 28min on the treadmill so I thought I would go under 30mins out on the road. Well, I ran till I ALMOST puked, and it was still 30mins. :( BTW, I read in the International Triathlon Union site that the professionals run 10km in 30mins in the O.D. Tris!! Oh well, I've never seen Aquaman run much in the cartoons so he can't be a good runner either.

On the Intentional Discipleship front, I learnt today that Jesus knows the value of taking time to rest and re-charge too. :) Just prior to the miracle of feeding 5,000, John the Baptist got beheaded. You can imagine the depression and fear that must have caused to Jesus' followers. In addition, it has been such a busy day that they did not even have time to eat (Mark 6:31). Jesus' response to the apostles was, interestingly, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." Although the people were still coming to Jesus and His apostles with their needs, Jesus called a "time-out" so they could rest and be re-energized - quite literally, the world can wait, because burning out does no one any good.

The plan was thwarted when the crowds followed Jesus and, out of his compassion for them, Jesus decides to teach them and later on even fed the 5,000 (not counting the women and children) with only 2 loaves of bread and 5 small fishes. But what's interesting is the first thing Jesus did when the crowds were fed and presummably His disciples were re-energised by witnessing the great miracle - He went up a mountainside by Himself to pray (Mark 6:46). Even Jesus needs that time of refreshing and re-energizing. How much more do we?

Let's resolve to make time this weekend to rest and re-energize in the midst of training and family/social commitments. Train safe and God Speed!

6 comments:

Cliff said...

Kewl,

Great observation. Even Jesus did not get burn out. He takes R&R when necessary. Good point.

As for the swim, u are a fish :O. I know how u feel about swimming in a small pool.

I found it amazing how back in November, I can barely swim 2 laps. Now I swim 2 km. 1 km becomes a warm up.

Do u want to hear something that will blow your mind? If you keep at it, soon 2 km will become a warm up and 4 km will be your avg volume :O.

Rachel said...

Exactly--On the 7th day, He rested. If God needs breaks, then I need many! Good point.

I always find running outside is tougher than a treadmill. Plus, it's been so hot lately.

Good job on the swimming, aquaman! (reminded me of that episode of Seinfeld where he drugged his date to play with her toys.)

Unknown said...

Great job on the swim. Swimming is the one thing that keeps me away from triathlons, but I hope to conquer my fear someday.

Deb said...

look at you go! congrads!!

Trifrog said...

Ah, rest - the irony of productivity.

I thought I was the only one who remembered Aquaman!? I call the statue outside my building 'Aquaman' because it is in the middle of a fountain.

You can see it here: http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/cleveland/terminalmallanight.jpg

qcmier said...

Hey I remember Aquaman, sigh I must be getting old huh. I sort of thought his telepathy with sea creatures was a pretty limited super power. He's worthless on land or in the skies.