Monday, July 10, 2006

Calza-who?!?!

Reading about Sylvain Calzati (AG2R) winning stage 8 of Tour De France brought a smile to my face because...
  • This is the first stage win via a break away win in Tour De France this year! And if you are into cycling, you know it is all about the break away. :)
  • He was the under-dog - "It's fabulous!" Calzati enthused, " especially when you think I was the last rider to be picked for the Tour de France team. Last year I crashed out injured, but today I told the team's mechanics that I was going to be at the front."
  • Yes, he's French, but you can't fault him for that. ;)

Sorry for leaving my last post sort of hanging in mid-air. As TriBoomer said, the answer is right in my heart, and my heart has been telling me it's time to give up my pride at work and take the high road. No surprise nor earth-shaking revelation, just another case of learning to listen to my heart. I guess this is the essence of Christianity here on earth: A process of Intentional Discipleship bringing us from head knowledge to heart knowledge, to actions, and ultimately to a victorious life in His power and grace. Praise God!

Went for a 11km run on Friday after a laspe of more than a week (been doing only 5km runs), and boy, did it HURT. But I am glad I finished, as it does wonders for my confidence for the coming 10km New Balance Real Run. :) Talking about the Real Run, it seems to be organised for the young army boys, so I guess I will be running at the back of the pack and getting passed often - no different from my usual runs then. ;)

Saturday was swim drills again (1.5km total):
  • 6 X 50m front crawl warm up
  • 6 X 50m kicking (with kickboard)
  • 6 X 50m "chicken wing" (to practice arm recovery)
  • 6 X 50m "catch up" (without hand paddles this time) to build some much needed arm power
  • 6 X 50m front crawl tempo
I skipped the Sunday 50km bike ride as it was drizzling and I felt a bit of a sore throat, runny nose coming, so I called it a rest day. Probably a good call, given the recent rise in flu cases in Singapore. I do have a confession to make: I have no problems running in the rain, but if it is even drizzling lightly, I avoid riding my bike - that's how lazy I am about cleaning the bike. :D

Monday morning, crawled out of bed, looked at myself in the mirror and reached to my right for the towel and ... OUCH! I sprained my back (left shoulder blade) somehow! I have NO IDEA where this came from as I did NOT do anything significantly different from any other day. Given that Sunday was a rest day, It's can't be over training either, so I have to chalk this one down to just being a "non training injury", most likely cause - old age. Another case in point of leaning on the Lord for healing while we train - who has time to worry when we can pray? Praise God! :)

Train safe all, and God Speed!

5 comments:

Iron Pol said...

Isn't it amazing how we can pound our bodies on the runs, bruise our behinds on the bike, and struggle to avoid drowning in the pool, all with no serious injuries only to wake up with a strained back.

Even if you aren't getting the long runs in, you're keeping the maintenance runs up. And staying off the bike in the rain isn't really lazy, sometimes it's just good sense.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Thank you for the mention in your blog. I'm happy to hear you resolved to take the high road.

My experience has been that when I get one of those sudden "old age" strains it's time to get a massage. Usually it's a muscle tension ailment and a massage therapist can set it right.

Stay tuned...

Steven said...

That break-away win was awesome! I've never seen one succeed before so it was cool.

Cliff said...

who has time to worry when we can pray?

Too true.

I am with you with the clean bike bit. There is a few instances where i cancel my bike ride b/c i don't have time to clean the bike afterwards.

Rachel said...

Love the cartoon! I'm a mudder when it comes to running in the rain but also a complete wimp about biking in the rain. That's what trainers are for!