Saturday, July 29, 2006

Black Chicken Noodle Soup

Yup, my friends, this is one of the best kept secrets in Oriental recovery food - the double boiled black chicken soup (noodles optional). :) The infamous black chicken is double boiled with a whole black chicken (more on that later) and other goodies like wolfberries and ginseng, and it is reknown among the Chinese and Korean for its "healing" properties. In fact, it is common for ladies to consume a lot of this in the 3 months after delivering a baby as part of the recovery process. Personally, I can't confirm either way about the "healing" properties, but it sure is a tasty and healthy way to get a whole lot of good carbohydrates and protein. :)

So what is a black chicken anyway? If you have not seen one, they usually come with white feathers, but the skin, fleah and bones look like they have been dyed black. When cooked, it looks like boiled chicken that has been dyed black - not the most apetizing of sights. :) But I find black chicken to be usually more lean and thus has better texture and taste than the normal variety. Oh, and they usually cost quite a bit more too.

The funny thing about them is that they seem to all have white feathers. Go figure!

On the training side, I have been taking it easy this week for three reasons:
  1. Work has been very stressful and as such training time is scarse.
  2. I am doing the practice run for the New Balance Real Run tomorrow (Sunday, 10km) so I did not want to push too hard in the week. The organisers of the run (i.e., New Balance) are nice enough to conduct practice runs in the actual route every Sunday for a few weeks prior to the actual run on 20 Aug. To further sweeten the deal, we get to try out their latest models on the practice runs, so my buddies and I are going to check it out tomorrow.
  3. I managed to pick up an ear infection somehow, so no swimming for me for a few days. :( Been feeling a bit tired after the increasing training volume for the last 3 weeks so I guess I will call this week an inpromptu recovery week. :)
On the Intentional Discipleship side, no earthshaking revelations (although I did experience a small earthquake while in Jakarta - but that's another story), just quiet reassurance that if I focus on doing the right thing, I will emerge victorious from the tricky situation at work. PRAISE GOD!

Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

11 comments:

Chris said...

My sister was eating that after she had her baby, but I can't say that I ever had it before? What does it taste like?? :)

Linda said...

I'd like to know what kind of noodles and how do you season the broth. Looks delicious!

Flo said...

I live in Hawaii and I thought we have most things Oriental but I've never seen (or heard) of black chicken. Now I need to find some and try it.

It's nice of New Balance to sponsor runs and let your run practice runs and let you try their products. But, you know what, NB is an American company and they don't do those things here in America!!!! Why not????

Anyway, good training.

Papa Tweet said...

That black chicken looks like duck meat, which by the way, sucks. But, I'd be willing to give it a try. I'll try anything. Probably can't find it in the states though.

qcmier said...

Looks good. But I don't think I'll find any black chicken in my neck of the woods.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I love black chicken 'n' noodles! It's one of my favorite food memories of Singapore and Penang. Lucky for me there's a Singapore eatery just down the road from me and they serve it as a specialty.

Yum!

Stay tuned...

Deb said...

Have never seen or heard of black chicken...looks good...yum!

Anonymous said...

Loved the expression "to further sweeten the deal...".

Will be using it. Shan’t be mentioning it’s a quotation. Do hope you don’t mind.

Way to go, New Balance! That run looks very exciting. Good luck on that, Kewl!

I beg to differ with you guys, but that black chicken doesn’t look at all appealing.

It sort of reminds me of events on the middle east, if you don’t mind me saying so.


Cheers from Portugal,

Eloy

Cliff said...

What does it taste like? Taste like chicken :D

I have that once in a while. I thought they dyed it or something ot make it black.

Robin said...

Enjoy the unforeseen recivery week and rest up!

And...I have never heard of or seen a black chicken...very interesting.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Those chickens look like some we used to have when I was a kid, for fun... they were called White Silkies. They had fluff instead of regular feathers. It was a long time ago but I think their legs and feet were black, come to think of it.