Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Well, I'm sure many of you remember that was what Jesus cried out at the nineth hour on the cross, just before he died (Matthew 27:46). This utterance speaks volumes to me, sorry for blogging about old news, but being a "newish" intentional disciple, I get excited when I find out more about Jesus. :)

Firstly, it tells me that when Jesus wore our sins on the cross, He was momentarily wearing God's scorn/wrath on our sins. How painful that must have been for Him, far above the physical, emotional, and mental abuse that He suffered. This is quite literally Spiritual suffering, and I am once again moved by the length and depth that our Lord went to to redeem us.

Secondly, there is actually a cross reference from this verse to Psalm 22, which starts exactly with this verse. This tells me that this was not a cry of frustration from Jesus, but actually the start of PRAISE (Psalm 22 is a beautiful Psalm that starts with a lament, but ends in glorious praise)! Praise that came from meditating on scripture even as He hung in extreme discomfort on the cross. I know quite a few of us meditate on His word when we train, but perhaps there is a bigger lesson for us here on how to deal with difficult times?

Sorry for the "sermon". Like I said, I get excited about such things. :)

On to the "mundane" then... I ran 11km on Monday and rested on Tuesday. What has that got to do with the picture of my foot? Well, if you look VERY closely, you may notice that the circled toe nail is a little red - it's sore to touch and I am hoping the nail does not fall off. Okay, I don't care what everyone else thinks - I am following Cliff's example and calling this my first sign of becoming a "real" runner! ;)

So what did I do on my rest day, you ask? I visited my parents after work and brought back a large cardboard box, so I can make a el cheapo "PlayHouse" for R1 & R2. Check out the video evidence below of how much they appreciate my handiwork. [Sorry, I have tried but failed miserably to try to rotate the video so you don't get a kink in your neck viewing it. Any advice/pointers from the blogging experts would be much appreciated.] Move over Little Tikes, there is a new toy maker in town! :D



Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

15 comments:

Deb said...

I think you should ahve enhanced the shot of your foot....add an extra toe, something goofy. ;)
I LOVE the box 'fort' for the kids. I used to do that with my boys. Give them some markers/crayons, let them go to town & and they'll be in that thing for hours (or until they kill each other!) ;)

Unknown said...

I enjoy the sermons Kewl. Keep em coming.

Chris said...

I can't imagine being so connected with the Father and then to suddenly have that removed. True spiritual suffering and a testament of His love.

Good luck with the toe nail. I have one that's red and black too, but it's hanging on! :)

Iron Pol said...

I have been very fortunate and avoided any toenail issues. After thousands of miles, I consider that a blessing. I've heard tons of stories about toe issues.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that, as a youngster (read, until I turned 30), I would go without socks whenever possible. In fact, I ran my first half-marathon without socks, a fact that many found crazy.

Good running socks help. I prefer OxySox. A bit of Body Glide on the offending toe can do wonders, as well.

Great job getting in the runs.

Cliff said...

I gotta read that Psalm when I go home.

My Pastor has been teaching us about Psalm.

:) Yes, now u are a runner.

I don't know how you run in Singapore. I was talking to my friend last night (aslo from Singapore) and he said where u are is hot.

Trifrog said...

Amazing that Jesus went through being absent from God so that I wouldn't have to. It certainly puts into perspective when I choose to commit a sin the price that was paid to forgive me before it even happened.

Don't write off Little Tikes too quickly, they're a north eastern Ohio company that employs a lot of people around here.

Ellie Hamilton said...

It amazes me that Jesus read and knew the same Psalms, the same Old Testament, that I do, called on them as prayers when He had no words of His own... the very same ones. When I read/pray Psalm 22, just thinking "This is what Jesus was repeating as He hung there..." blows my mind.

Ellie Hamilton said...

You know how Psalm 150 is the "Musician's Psalm" -- we should comb through them till we find an "Athlete's Psalm."

qcmier said...

I don't know how many times I have said it, but thank you for your thoughts. I stop by your corner of blogland and then I have some things that I can contemplate on during my QT.

I second trifrog's comment about Little Tikes. I grew up a few miles down the road from their operations.

I like Ellie's idea of the Athlete's Psalm too.

Trisaratops said...

What adorable boys you have! :) Thanks for the sermon--I appreciate them too!

Rachel said...

don't you hate it when something hurts really badly and you have nothing to show for it? that happens to me all the time! or, I have very nasty looking feet and they feel fine.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Great video, even if it's just a tad crooked. One of the most fun I ever had with my kids is when the new washer and dryer was delivered. The boxes were left behind. The kids painted them like houses and played with them for weeks before leaving them out in the rain.

Stay tuned...

Papa Louie said...

I have always wondered why did God forsake Christ on the cross. Some verses that helped me were
(1 Peter 3:18) He toke the place of sinners on the cross, (1 Peter 2:24, Isa. 53:6) He bore our sins, and (2 Cor. 5:21) He was made sin for us while on the cross.

Anonymous said...

heh heh you can send yr 'crooked' video clips to moi... they can be fixed by rotating in adobe premiere. ;p

keith

Heng ^_^ said...

Hi, do you know where to find powerglide in singapore? Pls email me at tanhengyee@yahoo.com. I'm a runner too. Thanks.