Thursday, March 09, 2006

Swim...

Went shopping today and judging by all the swim stuff I now have, one would think I am a pretty serious swimmer, but those of you who have been here before know betta. ;) Just bought these yellow hand paddles together with the pull buoy so I can start to work on isolating and improving my stroke. At the bottom is my trusty old Aqua Sphere Seal Swim Mask from last year - this is probably my best swim investment yet. I also use R1 & R2's kick board which I have not included in this picture. But back to the swim mask - this one happens to be the "dragon" model which is made for Asian faces (i.e. lower nose bridge). They are very comfy and provides great visibility - I could not even see where I was going with my old goggles in my 1st Sprint Tri - they fogged up quite a bit. When I used this swim mask for the other Sprint Tri last year, I could even see my wife and kids on the beach waiting for me to return from the swim leg. Absolutely amazing and helps remove some of the claustrophobia of swmming in a large group. Judging from the Total Immersion "FreeStyle Made Easy" DVD, it is also the only thing in common I have with Terry Laughlin. :P

Of couse, R1 looks much betta in it than I do so I have asked him to model it for us!

Inspired by Keith my mysterious swim guru buddy, I went out and did 5X100m of kicking drills yesterday (30 sec rest in between each set) - warm-up and end with 250m Front Crawl. Total distance of 1km, which is not a lot, but I think doing the kicking drills straight up without swimming in between did me a lot of good. I think I can actually vary how fast I go when I kick now - used to be that no matter how fast/hard I kicked, I pretty much plodded on at the same pace. I will concentrate on both kick and stroke drills for the next 3-4 weeks, and only start stamina swim trainingn after I get some form improvements.

We are driving across the border to Malaysia for a short holiday this weekend, so I am trying to squeeze in as much training time as possible before the weekend. Come back and see my updated training log next week to see how I went. :)

OK, gotta go finish some work - trying to squeeze in a bike ride today. Train safe & have fun everyone, God Speed!

9 comments:

Cliff said...

Kewl,

That seemed like a lot of kicking drills. But then again, I probably have do just as much of that distance when i first started.

Do you kick on your back with your arms to the side?

The first swim lesson, my coach teach us to use our lungs as a buoy. When I swim on my back, I make sure I grab a good lungful of air and lean on my buoy. Using that analogy, I have no problem with the sinking feeling.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm still working through the TI lessons. I seem to be having issues when on my right side. On my left, it's no issue. I zoom along, and whether face up or in the water, I feel comfortable.

On my right side, the balance feels off, my kick is pointless, and my forward motion slows drastically.

Any ideas? Or is it just a "drill until comfortable" thing. TI comments that we feel more comfortable on one side than the other. I'm just not sure what level of "less comfortable" is okay.

Sixteen Chickens said...

R1 is adorable, does he borrow the mask to find the rubber ducky in the bathtub?

Going to Malaysia sounds like fun, bring the camera, ok? We wanna see pictures.

Oh yeah, keep training!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hi PT, thanks for dropping by. I think I know who you are... ;)

Cliff, I just do regular kicking with a kck board. Not doing the TI balance drills...

Tom, hmmm... I am hardly the expert here, given that I am not exactly following the TI drills, but I would think that if you have the time, it would benefitual to be able to balance on both sides so that you can ultimately do bi-lateral breathing?

Wylee, exactly right! He loves the mask as it is more comfy and water tight than his goggles. :)

Hi Jesse, I will be packing my running shoes and HRM, but when I am on holiday I want to make sure I give the family top priority in terms of time (esp this trip when I am visiting my in-laws). ;)

Rachel said...

Does the pull buoy and kickboard really help? I always felt like it would take away from the overall synergy of my stroke. Just curious.

qcmier said...

Have a great holiday!!! Would love to see some pics later.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hi Rachel, they are supposed to isolate stroke and kick respectively. I think it helps me to work on my form as I cannot seem to do both stroke and kick together properly. :) So I work on one at a time and then try to combine them at the end of the session.

Thanks qcmier, will remember to take pictures!

Anonymous said...

* cracks whip *

you can always wake up extra early to swim at the hotel pool or at the beach!! ;p

Amy Castillo said...

Great blogg you have here