Wednesday, March 15, 2006

An Expensive Trip...

Wow... The trip to Malaysia to visit my in-laws turned out to be such an expensive trip. Not so much in terms of $$$, but in terms of health and lack of progress with regards to my training.

Sorry, not many pictures to share here because both my kids fell sick (common cold which led to throat/ear infection for R2 and sinus/ear infection for R1). When we got back to Singapore, my dear wife fell sick too with fever and I had mild food poisioning. All in, zero personal time, zero training time, but at least we got to spend some quality time with my father-in-law.

Just two pictures to share then, 1st the breakfast of champions in Malaysia - Kaya on toast! Basically, take soft fluffy white bread, toast them over a charcoal fire and add kaya (a local jam made with eggs, sugar and coconut milk - sounds gross I know, but it is yummy. Just ask R1 and R2!) ;)

Lastly, a challenge... Does anyone know of fully functional electric sewing machines older than these two (spotted at the local seamtress)? I'll have you know they churn out some pretty fine dresses on those things. ;)



More hotel rooms for me, I'm afraid. Will be on business travels for the next 2 weeks - does not look good for my training plans. Sorry Keith my mysterious swim guru buddy, don't think I will be able to swim much for the next 2 weeks again. Sigh... :(

7 comments:

Cliff said...

No pool at the hotel? :(..nuts.

That kaya stuff sure sounds yummy :0

Steven said...

Hope the kiddies are feeling better. And that you don't catch it!

Anonymous said...

ya ya bring yr shoes and do some runs on the hotel treadmill! Dont stress yourself out about the training - just work it around yr travels! Training shld be FUN!

Sixteen Chickens said...

Ummm, do your kids always bring their guns to the table? ;)

So sorry to hear you all became ill on your trip, yuck. Hope you are all feeling better now. You'll get back to training, no worries.

qcmier said...

Hope the family is feeling better. My mom has a pretty old sewing machine that still works; not as heavy duty as those.

Kaya has to be better than vegemite.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hi Guys/Gals, thanks for dropping by. :)

Cliff, there is actually a pool in the hotel in India, but I am afraid of catching stomach flu in the pool water (I tend to drink water when I swim). :(

Steven, too late. Lost my voice. No training at all this week. :(

K, yes sir, I always bring my shoes. Hope I get well enough to do some running in the gym...

Wylee, sharp eyes! Their grandpa bought them toy guns and of course they will not be seperated from them. I learnt a new definition for patience this holiday, it is called "driving in bad traffic with two boys trying to stick their guns in my face/ear/head..."

qcmier, actually I kinda like vegemite too. ;)

Comm's said...

Those may be old but I can tell they are still in good use. They are not residential units but commercial jobs that can be used to sew plastics, canvas and other dense materials.

(Sniff)I used to do a bit of sewing in my military youth, fixing gear up.