Thursday, June 21, 2007

Week 9 of 15


Sigh... It is already week 10, and I am posting 1 week late again. As mentioned in my last post, my sis-in-law and her two boys (T1 & T2) are in town, so between spending time with them and work, training and blogging has taken a backseat. In case anyone besides Robin is curious about why I call my boys R1 & R2, and their cousins T1 & T2, I must confess to an incredible lack of imagination and watching too much Bananas in Pyjamas when my boys were younger - remember B1 and B2? Just so happens that my boys' names start with R and my nephews' names start with T. ;-)

Okay, back to week 9 - I have to report that I missed my long run (GASP!) and have to score myself 5/6. :-(
  • Mon: Rest - Time with sis-in-law, T1 & T2 in Malaysia
  • Tues: Ditto above.
  • Wed: Run Intervals - 15mins warm up, 5 X (3min @ 11km/hr, 3min @ 8.5km/hr), 15 mins cool down;
    Strength Training - Squats, Seated Row, Bent Elbow Lat Pull Down, Push-ups, Bicycle (Abs).
  • Thurs: Rest - Time with sis-in-law, T1 & T2 in Singapore
  • Fri: Swim Intervals - 550m Warm Up, 8 X (110m sprint, 30s recovery), 550m Cool Down
  • Sat: Long Brick - 53km bike / 8.3 km run (longest run off bike!)
  • Sun: Long Swim - 1.6km (shortening my long swims from 2km to 1.6km to focus a bit more on pace)

I feel kinda bummed about missing the long run last week (which I consider to be a key work-out), but not much I can do about it now except to focus on the training ahead. This week (week 10) is supposed to be a rest week, but next week I have to be in India (which has proven to be a tough place to get any training in), so I will push on and take my rest week in India. I am pretty excited to get the long brick done last Sat - 8.3km is the longest I have run off the bike ever, and it is helping to boost my confidence for completing the coming OSIM (Olympic) Tri. Sneak peak on Week 10: I got my long run (14km) in on Tues, and that is also helping my confidence substantially.

Good news over the weekend is that a friend of mine from church actually took my advice and signed up for the Sprint event at OSIM. ;-) It's so great to see a friend commit to an active lifestyle and I am so happy for him.

Okay, it's back to work for me. It's race season, so God Speed and take care of yourselves!

7 comments:

Papa Louie said...

Looks like your training is going well for your OSIM race. The brick workouts are the bomb. They'll really boost your performance come race day. Have a safe and enjoyable time in India. Peace in Him.

Cliff said...

Kewl,

I do hope that pic ain't your nephews, T1 and T2 :o)

Looking at your brick, you are ready for Olympic Tri.

Robin said...

Hey Kewl. Don't worry about the missed long run, but I know how you feel. I had planned to run for 1:40 when I got off the plane in Atlanta, GA on Monday. I could only fit in 1:15. My runs have been lacking and I was kicking myself for it. But we do what we can. You have done and AWESOEM job at managing yout training plan, overall, having been following it now this whole time (moving rest weeks to the India week, etc.) It isnot easy. But you're training overall has been going well and you'll rock this course for your fist Oly! I know it!

As for the letters & numbers...uh...names -- thanks. I was sooo curious. My name starts with R, too! Hmm...I need a number. Well, on July 1st -- for that particular day-- you can call me R70.3!!! :-)

tryathlete said...

And I thought you named your kids after the Star Wars droids, and your nephews were in that Schwarzenegger film.

Cliff said...

Kewl,

U mention in someone's blog (Robin's?) that you worry about mud in cleats.

Or is it in commondore's blog you not sure about habving the shoes already clipped in on the bike for faster transition.

In either way, i woudl suggest practicing running and jumping on the bike and learning to put on the shoes while it is clipped in.

It is actually ont too bad. It took me one day to figure it out. My only concern for me is that the shoes tend to stuck on the ground when i bring my bike in the transitino area. Nothing that some rubber bands can help.

Unknown said...

I actually have always wondered why you use those names so thanks for clarifying. You will be ready for the olympic tri!

Unknown said...

Training is looking good.

Not being a Bananas in Pyjamas person myself, I never would have known that to be the inspiration for your kid's blog nicknames.

Nice to have a friend doing the sprint that weekend too.