Friday, May 04, 2007

Rubbers & Gels

Somehow, this seems a particularly apt subject while blogging in the Bangkok airport (waiting for my flight home). :-) Yup, boys and girls, you gotta love your rubbers, and ol' nitrox just got myself a pair of lovely white-walled rubbers. My OEM tyres were starting to fray at the side walls, so I picked up these beauties at the LBS last week. Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps are apparently racing clinchers with recommended pressure of 145psi, but my pump can only go to 140psi, and my wheels have a 133psi limit, so I am running them at 140psi (which is still 20 higher than my usual 120psi on the OEM tyres). If these are anything like car tyres, they probably need to be "broken in", but initial impressions are positive (except Mrs Nitrox took a look and pronounced them "Ah Beng", which is Singapore speak for "Bling" - in my defence, the LBS guy picked the colour and I did not know they come in black until I started surfing the 'Net). Coming from OEM tyres, I found the Tricomps to be much grippier - I used to slide on wet cement floors and have my OEM tyres break traction going up steep hills, but did not seem to have this problem with the new tyres. They also seem "tougher" - the 120tpi casing shows itself as feeling thicker and tougher than the old rubbers. I was initially concerned about them being slower due to higher rolling resistance (more grip = higher rolling resistance = lower speed?), but the higher pressure must have helped, as I seem to be ~2km/hr faster on the straights (have yet to quantify the effect on average speed, which really needs a few rides). Will keep you updated if they are indeed faster than the OEM tyres.

Following my questions about Nutrition for Olympic Distance Triathlon, I decided to do some testing and picked up a pack of Hammer Gels (Raspberry). So far I have been just taking 2 bottles of Powerade on my weekend 2.5hr bike/run (approx 35kcal per 100ml, so a total of 350kcal). Don't think I can drink 2 bottles on the bike leg come race day, so I am thinking perhaps a gel (86 kcal) just before the swim, 1 bottle of Powerade (175 kcal) during the bike, another gel in the run leg (86 kcal), and another bottle of Powerade (175kcal) split between quick gulps in T1 and T2. That would give me a total of 522kcal for 3:15-3:30 hours. Think that is enough?

So last Sun, instead of taking 2 bottles of Powerade on the bike for my planned weekend 50km ride / 6km run, I took 1 bottle of Powerade, 1 bottle of water and 1 Hammer gel for the bike. I left out another bottle of Powerade so that I can take quick gulps between the ride and the run (I managed about 3/4 bottle). Just like the pros, I taped the Hammer gel on the top tube of my bike so I can rip it off one handed. In true ol' nitrox style, I managed to get my fingers and glove all sticky in the process - looks like more practice is required. :-) What did it taste like? Well... Kinda like warm, melted candy (except it is less sweet), which is not entirely a bad thing. I was apprehensive reading about how gels make some people hurl, so was relieved that the other 11 gels in the box won't be going to waste. I had naively expected a magical power boost but of course it never came. I guess the fact that I could successfully take in the gel and bottles is good news in itself. The gels should come in handy to keep energy levels up in the O.D. race (3:15-3:30 hrs)when I may not be able to stomach so many bottles.

Oops, almost boarding time, so until next time, train safe and God Speed!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, hammer gel! Hope you had a safe trip!

Iron Pol said...

It takes the body about an hour to process the gel into usable energy. There is, however, a psychosomatic effect related to the sugars hitting your tongue. Even though you don't actually get energy, your body will often FEEL energized just knowing calories are in your belly.

500 calories for a 3-4 hour race should be sufficient. In a marathon, I usually only get around 350 between gels and drinks.

And I guess I better start practicing with gels taped to the bike. I'm a bit torn between that and just carrying them in my jersey.

Robin said...

Hey Kewl: You'll have to tell me how you end up liking these tires. I actaully saw this brand -- with BLUE instead of white and almost bought them. Instead, I opted for Bontrager since that is what I have had. Change is tough. :-)

Also, I like Hammer gel. I also like Carb-BOOM, but Hammer has more natural ingredients, I think.

Tahnks for posting about the nutirtion -- I am trying to figur ethat all out, too, but not putting enough thought into it. I benefit reading you.

Also thanks for the advice on how to get my pics posted. Between you & Joe, you guys really helped me! It didn;t take as long as I thought it woudl to get them separated and into Jpeg format and up on my blog! Thanks thanks!

Enjoy the weekend!

Robin said...

PS: I am have small "bento box" and i put my bars, and gels in there. I like it. Just big enough to fit a bar and a couple gels. Handy on long rides, and I am guessing handy in Olympic and Half IM tris, too.

Wrenched Photography said...

Nothing like new rubber. Vittoria makes great tires. Get a bento box, it'll actually make you more aero... really it will the nerds at MIT say so

Anonymous said...

You triathletes and your bike photos. . . it's kind of a strange love affair, isn't it? :) Good luck with your gels - something I've never tried.

Kewl Nitrox said...

CP, thanks!

Iron Pol, knew I could count on you again for solid advice.

Thanks Robin/Winz, I'm still refraining from a bento box as I am just doing O.D. events and may not need so much fuel on the road.

Annette, only way to understand us is to get yourself a hot tri bike. :-)

Unknown said...

Nice wheels! Good luck on the experimentation on the fueling. I have never been very good at mastering that.

Unknown said...

i have vredestein tires on my bike...they are blue. i just replaced the rear tire and see how much the blue has faded since they are now NOT the same color. Anyway, i didn't pick them because they were blue, they just happened to BE blue.

and gels are a personal thing. i happen to like powerbar gel strawberry banana.