Monday, May 14, 2007

Week 4 of 15 (Rest Week)

The reason why I have this photo of an empty airport lounge is that all the other passengers managed to get on the flight except me and my colleague. :-( That meant another 3 hours in the lounge without even Internet access, and no chance of getting back early on Fri to get some training done. That just about sums up last week for me - I read that we are supposed to keep to the same number of sessions in rest weeks, just reduce the volume/intensity, but I was not able to do that with the travels to both Indonesia and Phils in the same week.

All I could manage the entire week was Swim Intervals (6 X 55m sprint, 30s recovery) and Run Intervals (10 X 1min hill sprint, 2min active recovery). With all the travelling (and probably also the stress of the huge merger and missed financial targets at work), I have not been sleeping well, so despite the lapse in training, I don't particularly feel refreshed, so when it was time to do my weekend bike/run and it was drizzling, I decided to spend my 2.5 hours on this instead...Yup, that is Luke Sykwalker at the front with his light sabre, while Chewbacca, R2D2, Hans Solo and Princess Diana chill out behind him (there's one other character in the cockpit of the X-wing fighter, but I can't figure out who he is). This Lego set was R1's birthday present last year and the poor kid has been waiting 6 months for his negligent papa to fix it with him. Now that R1's exams are over and it's rest week, there really is no excuse for us to put it off any longer, so Voila! We are proud to report that, despite being only 6+, R1 built all of that himself - all ol' nitrox did was to help him find the lego bits from the hundreds in the box. R2 also helped by taking a nap so he wouldn't be tempted to go running off with the tiny Lego bits. :-) As you can see, R2 was a little over-whelmed by how much got done while he was napping. [ BTW, the picture on the right was also taken last weekend when we went shopping for MORE TOYS! :-) ]

So all in all, I can only score myself 2/6 for the rest week (only 2 of 6 training sessions done), but given the work commitments, I think I did well to spend time on what's important - family. :-) Praise God!

Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

12 comments:

Robin said...

Seems as though your priorities are in proper order. :-)

Also, no worries, just get back on the horse this week. And remember, rest is important!

I'll be straddling that as I complete an important report that I must present this week.

Right before I leave for my tri team's training weekend Thursday afternoon! Yeah!

Linda said...

You always sound so busy going places YET you have your priories in the right place.

Iron Pol said...

Kewl, keep in mind that while week to week training is important, long term is key. In marathon training, I used to have 10 mile weeks sandwiched between 40 and 50 mile weeks.

If you have to have a week go poorly for training, a rest week is a good one.

Cliff said...

Kewl,

Keeping life balance is all important for the long term. Not just for your life and also for your atheletic performance too...

R1 did a great job building the X-wing.

qcmier said...

Aww, I'm afraid to admit I'm lusting over the X-wing fighter. Perhaps it's WEdge in the cockpit. Oh and it's Princess Leia, not Diana. =)

Kewl Nitrox said...

OOPS, WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!? Of course it is Princess Leia. Shows you that I wasn't kidding about the crazy week I had. ;-)

Thanks all for the encouragement. I just gotta put the 2/6 week behind me and get back into training mode. Started this morning with a 12 km run in a DOWN POUR. It's been a LONG time since I felt cold during a run in Singapore.

Robin said...

I like running in the rain-- but it's gotta be warm.

THANKS for your little story, and for taking the time to write it out for me. I WILL REMEMBER THAT THIS TRAINING WEEKEND AND RACE WEEKEND!!!!

Unknown said...

Love the pics of the kids. I hope the extra rest will give you more energy for training this week.

Unknown said...

Great lego creation!

Whatever happened to your training last week, that week is over. Your boby will probably appreciate the rest anyway.

Time to focus on this week.

Sixteen Chickens said...

Those are two of the happiest looking children I've ever seen. Kids love to spend time with their parents. I'd say your week turned out EXACTLY like it was supposed to.

tryathlete said...

Glad you had time to spend with family.

I'm wondering whether that R2 actually fits into the rear of the X wing...?

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you needed some down time! I'm sure the kids appreciate the time spent with them, too. :)