Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I am NOT a runner...

... I am NOT a swimmer either... MANY years back I cycled a bit, but I am NOT a cyclist either, as proven by this experience I related in my comments to Robin's post sometime back (by the way Robin is such an accomplished cyclist now that she does NOT clip out going 'em hills anymore):

~~~~
Maybe this will make you feel betta about clipping out in the hills. Singapore is so FLAT that when I was in the university in Vancouver, I went for a leisure ride with the cycle club and was DEAD last. Turns out they went to an island with rolling hills and these Singapore legs just could not cope. There was one particular hill, where I REFUSED to clip out (1st generation LOOK pedals back then), but got into a full on cramp midway and could not move a muscle (literally). I slowly toppled to the side, which thankfully was grass, with my back on the grass and my legs still locked in position above me holding the bike up. To make things worse, I then proceeded to slide ever so slowly all the way down the hill, upside down. Since then, I have had no issue about clipping out when I need to. :-)
~~~~

So why do I train for triathlons? I attempted an answer last year, which is still very valid, but I still get frustrated at comments from my runner friends like "Doesn't EVERYONE run a sub 1 hour 10km?". No, I don't. Not even when I am fresh. Yes, I run 3 times a week now and I train 8 hours a week, but I still do not run 10 km in less than 60 mins. I am also frustrated at the 40 min swim cut-off in Singapore for 1.5km - I can only just make it, barely, but it feels disappointing to know you will be one of the last, and there's always the risk of missing the cut-off... Maybe I am expecting too much too soon, but I get discouraged when my buddies seem to just head out and swim/bike/run so much faster than me when they are not even in training. Sigh... Must be a beginner thing...

Anyways, I have signed up for the OSIM International Triathlon (my 1st ever Olympic Distance Tri) on 29th July and also the 10km Saucony 100Plus Passion Run on 8th July to "blow out the carbon from the pipes" before the OSIM Tri. It should be fun.

Oh and if you are praying for me, please continue to do so. My sore throat has indeed become a runny nose / cough thingy. I am getting depressed from the training and family time that I am missing (don't wanna pass on the germs to my boys). :-(

On the home front, I am incredibly proud of R1. He has been asking for a set of roller blades as a reward for doing well in school, and we finaly got him a pair. He's been on 'em every chance he gets and has perservered despite falling countless times. In just 2 days, without anyone teaching him (besides some advice from the older neighbourhood kids) he is up and skating. I am so proud of him that I feel like I am about to burst! As you can see below, R2 seems a little unimpressed with the fuss we are making about his big brother. Maybe it's time to get R2 some skates too. :-)

Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

10 comments:

Papa Louie said...

But you are out there racing which should count for more than what many people can do. Keep training and racing. You are doing tri's because you can!

Unknown said...

Keep at it. I was thinking while running the other day that there are actually a lot of blessings associate with being 'slow'. I'll post my thoughts on that sometime soon.

And I was darn near last at my oly and it really that wasn't so bad! So don't worry about it!! The finish line looks good whenever you cross it. :)

Oh, and I'm glad they didn't have a swim cut-off at my race. With my panick attack in the water, I wouldn't have made it. It is a bummer that you have to face that aspect of the race.

Sixteen Chickens said...

I love that photo of the boys! Their expressions are priceless! You really do get sick every time you train hard, don't you? Man, you need to ask your doc about that. Your body is telling you something.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hey Papa Louie / Lisa, thanks for the reminder. It is indeed a blessing to just be able to train and race. I 'll remember to smile as the others pass by. :-)

Wylee, I am getting kinda frustrated too. Dunno what I should be doing, but I will be sure to ask my doctor friends (I don't have a regular doctor as I don't see one for these virus infections).

tryathlete said...

That vignette about clipping out got me laughing.

So, how many A*s is R1 expected to get for PSLE?

Kewl Nitrox said...

I don't even want to start thinking about that. Of course we hope for academic excellent for the boys and will encourage them to do their best, but academic excellence sure can't buy simple peace and joy.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

cute kids - no doubt!
It doesn't matter how fast you go. You'll still just win the same finisher's medal that the 4th place winner gets.
Have fun - you are a great example to those boys!

Linda said...

Who cares if you're slower, at least you're doing it and that's what counts.

Unknown said...

I agree with all the other sentiments that it is more important to be out there than it is to be mid-pack, or a sub 1 hour 10k. You are a man of faith and have the greatest Leader and Coach there is. I'll pray for your health to return and for God to lead you to a sub 1 hour 10k. Have a good weekend.

Cliff said...

Kewl,

Smart to see your boy is getting a helmet w/ his blade.

I will definitely keep you in my prayers...

As much as i love triathlon..it is secondary...you put family ahead of it time and time again..i say you should give yourself some slack for being a good father.

Do keep in mind that it takes years to build up a good endurance base. Take your time and let it grow.