Monday, March 12, 2007

Hair Spray

Confession time: Ol' Nitrox is follically challenged, and I have been carrying with me a travel sized pump action hair spray dutifully in all my travels, believing that if I keep at it, one day, beautifully healthy hair would start growing again. (If only we were as consistent with our medication/treatments as our Quiet Time with the Lord - but that's another story.)

A few weeks ago, the hair spray got clogged up somehow. It would work once or twice, and then the whole thing would get clogged out. I would then dutifully take the spray bottle apart, clean out the spray mechanism, assemble the whole thing, only to have it work for one spray and then get clogged all over again. Some nights I do the whole dissemble/clean/assemble process 3 times a night just to get some of that precious fluid on my bald pate. All the while, feeling frustrated with the bottle, and more than a little unhappy that more of the precious fluid is literally going down the drain than onto my head. :-(

Last night, I noticed another similar bottle on the counter top, so I picked it up, and hey presto, the new bottle worked just fine. The sense of satisfaction that I got from having the new bottle freely spray the precious stuff onto my head is simply beyond words - I went to bed with a smile on my face, amazed at how a simple thing like a working spray bottle can make or break my night. (Okay, so I don't have much of a life, but that's also another story.) Just then, it ocurred to me that in a lot of ways, I am like that blasted clogged up spray bottle. As a child of God, I am filled with His love and Spirit, but my efforts to share His love through ministry are like the impotent putterings of the clogged spray bottle!

When I started out as an ursher in church, it was all great and rosey, but after some months, I started dreading my ministry. It came to a point when I contemplated switching church so I would not have to ursher! Then when R1 & R2 were toddlers, I started serving in the Toddler's Playgroup in church. It was great at first, the kids and I had a lot of fun, some of the parents were amazed that a father would bother to come and teach the toddlers (it's still very Asian for the fathers to leave parenting to the moms). But now that R1 & R2 have both "graduated" into the kindergarden classes, I catch myself wishing sometimes that I could stop serving at the Playgroup. Some of you know I lead a Care Group, and when we were doing a structured Intentional Discipleship program last year, it was great - I learnt lots and looked forward to Care Group meetings. But nowadays, I catch myself wishing sometimes that I was just a member...

So in my service, I am like the clogged up spray bottle. Imagine God's frustration that each time He would take the time and effort to "clean" me out, just so that I would work like I should only once or twice before it happens all over again. Wouldn't be long before He finds another spray bottle that is working fine, and I miss out on being used by Him. What a scary thought! I guess the lesson here is really to guard my heart against the euphoria and drudgery of service - both are just as dangerous, because both may be symptoms of serving for the wrong reasons. Just as in Cain and Abel, God looks at the giver and not the gift. When our eyes are not on the Lord, we cannot please Him with our service. Conversely, when our eyes are on Him, we cannot but please Him. It really is as simple as that!

Talking about being clogged up, the Nitrox clan is pretty clogged up with the flu. Mrs Nitrox has got high fever, and R2 is all clogged up and has a bit of difficulty holding his food down. R1 and I are both having some of the runny nose, scratchy throat symptoms ourselves. So the planned 50km ride / 4km run last weekend got canned, and I did what all cyclists do when they cannot ride - I brought my bike for some much needed tuning and then cleaned my bike. (Don't let the WD-40 scare you, I spray it on as a chain cleaner, dry it, and then lubricate with the expensive Teflon chain lubricant.) :)
  • Tues (6/3): 11.8km run (longest run yet!)
  • Wed (7/3): Strength Training in office gym - Leg Press, Seated Row, Bent Elbow Lat Pulldown, Push Ups, Ab Crunch with Twist.
  • Thurs (8/3): Intervals on office gym threadmill - 1 km warm up, 3 X (1km run, 500m jog), 2 X (1.5km run, 500m jog)
  • Fri (9/3): 1.65km swim
  • Sat (10/3): 7km fun ride with R1 & R2 (R1 is the grouchy one - R2 is happy as he got to be a passenger on my bike) :-)

This week is school holidays week, so I am taking some time off work to take care of R1 & R2, especially when Mrs Nitrox is down with the flu. Looks like will be a light training week for me then. Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

13 comments:

Tri-Dummy said...

Excellent example used with the spray bottle!

I'd be afraid to use hair regeneration products in fear of spraying my back! :)

Unknown said...

Nice analogy with the spray bottle. I am often clogged up as well. Take care of the family.

Deb said...

what a good dad you are! That flu has been knocking everybody for a loop. Have fun with the boys and take care of your bride!

tryathlete said...

You know, Chinese New Year, that thing you eat that looks like hair? + superglue.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

Robin said...

1. I hope the Mrs feels better soon. 2. You can try running that bottle (the sprayer part) under really hot water when it clogs up -- that is what I do with my hair spray when I use it & it's clogged. It works most of the time, but not all. and 3. Whatcha doin' trying to grow back your hair?? (Naturally) bald men are hot!

Robin said...

PS: I am serious on all 3 points.

Robin said...

:-)

Ellie Hamilton said...

I love this. Clogged spray bottle. Yup, that's me....

Cliff said...

Kewl,

Thanks for the comment. Woah, HK changed a whole lot. Ppl say it is humid but i love the weather. First I don't find the humidity that bad (maybe this is from all the sweating :) ). Second, it is 20*C. This is in comparison to -20 I get from Toronto.

It is a busy place that's for sure. At the same time I enjoy the efficiency lifestyle. Must be an asian thing.

Relatives are the best...i am digging a lot about my family past.

Love the post about the hairspray..i can feel what u mean by starting an ministry and as time goes lacking the enthuasiasm to keep going.

Hope your kids and your wife get better. THey will be in my prayers.

qcmier said...

Yeah I'm back around. Missed the intentional discipleship. Hope the week off clears up the flu.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're unclogged soon!

Unknown said...

Intesting analogy about the spray bottle.

Hope your family is healthy soon! Being sick is no fun.

Mr Sanguine said...

Yet another one of your life lessons which should appear in The Daily Bread.

Hope the flu bug is gone.