Friday, August 25, 2006

Stuck in a Rut

Thanks again to PT for inviting me to a run last night! PT is the lightning fast gal who ran the New Balance Real Run (and kicked my ass) on Sunday. I have been a bit of a rut when it comes to training and Intentional Discipleships - getting lazy, missing training sessions and QT - and the run with PT was probably just what the doctor Lord ordered. :)

We ran a brisk 6km or so, but what's great about it was PT's running commentary (literally) on breathing and running techniques. I felt a bit like the young David Carradine in the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" getting a lesson from his wise old master... "Grasshopper, you have much to learn...". It was great being able to practice breath control and uphill/downhill running techniques. I had a great time, Praise God for bringing me a running guru, perhaps I can do this running thing afterall! :D

While we are on the subject of being in a rut, this is what happened to me yesterday...The fan belt on my trusty ol' Subaru Forrester broke and I had to be towed to the workshop. A few hours and $150 later, I finally got home, feeling thankful that
  1. This happened in Singapore and not 2 weeks later when I intend to drive to Malaysia for a holiday.
  2. This happened while I was driving and not Mrs Nitrox (a fantastic driver but she probably would have been a bit nervous - 1st sign of fan belt failure is power steering failure)
  3. Somehow when I rolled gently to a stop, I was right below the shade of a nice tree. The shade kept me nice and cool while I waited for the tow truck.
PRAISE GOD! Train safe and God Speed everyone. This weekend, I get out of the rut and start getting serious about training and Intentional Discipleship (again).

12 comments:

Iron Pol said...

I always consider it a sign of understanding Biblical principals when a husband prefers bad things happen to them instead of their wives. Some see it as chauvenistic, I see it as trying to fulfill your duties as husband.

Mrs. Pol is much the same way. She is tough, and can handle a great many things, including the odd birth situations of both children. She deals with difficult situations, even when they upset her. But I still prefer if bad things happen to me, rather than her.

It's great to hear you have an experienced runner with whom you can train and discuss challenges. A co-worker's wife is an elite runner, and I seek her guidance on major questions. In fact, she is providing some of the running drills for my developing half-Ironman training program.

Have a great weekend!

Cliff said...

Kewl,

It takes a long time to become a good runner...i hope that statement motivate you instead of discourage you :)..

There is still a lot i need to learn in running..proper form, cadence..strides....

Last time my fan belt blew..smokes were all over...i was making a left turn...thank God my car rolled..made the turn and stopped at the right side.

Robin said...

Glad you are OK. Ankle roll and now fan belt. No worries, vacation in Malaysia sounds GREAT! :-)

Looove the Subaru Forester. I just traded in my 11 yr old Nissan Sentra. Have wanted a SF for about 3 yrs now, but realized the monthly payments were more than I wanted to pay. Ended up with a Toyota Corolla. Trusty car again!

Have fun in Malaysia.

qcmier said...

Glad you and the car are fine.

It is always nice to train with folks who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Rachel said...

hope your car is okay! Glad to hear you're out of your rut. I didn't even realize you were in one. Don't get too serious with training as I feel so many of us do.

Chris said...

Doh! Did the tow the car by rolling the back wheels like that? I thought you weren't supposed to do that with an AWD vehicle?

Deb said...

bummer with the car problems....but it could have been a heck of a lot worse! I'm thankful for my company car!

Fitness4God said...

Praise God for the blessing $150 you have and be able to pay the bills.

Pray you and the family are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Your car was towed? Rats!
I haven't tasted that bitter feeling since I decided to downgrade from a complex 4x4 to a city car that hasn't yet left me stranded, not once! Less is more, I learned.
Let me know what you think of the site I've just put up on cycling routes in Portugal. Portuguese is official language, 'm afraid...: http://movimentosconcentricos.wordpress.com/
Cheers Kewl, train safe!

Eloy

Trifrog said...

You can tow a Subaru - not flatbed it?

tryathlete said...

Uh... did you break down on the ECP, near Marine Parade?

Anonymous said...

Yes, thankfully you broke down under good circumstances. It could have much worse as you pointed out.

Another thing to remember is that repair in Dallas would have been $300.

Stay tuned...