Saturday, October 07, 2006

I'm a Babe

Sorry, but seriously, I am a spiritual baby, and I am ashamed about it.

"You have been Christians a long time now, and you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things a beginner must learn about the Scriptures. You are like babies who drink only milk and cannot eat solid food."
Hebrews 5:12 (New Living Translation)

For too long now, I have been a spiritual babe. I have not yet truly learnt that life/work is not about fame and riches, but rather it is about love, peace and joy - unspeakable and unshakable joy. Just this week, I have been feeling like I am an order of fries short of a Happy Meal. I have been looking at the senior people I work with, their expensive suits, business class travel, lavish lifestyles, all the "clever" comments and thinking to myself just what is keeping me from reaching that level (it is certainly not ol' nitrox's age - 'em senior management types are getting younger by the day). To make things worse, just when I was consoling myself that at least I have a life outside work, I found out one of them runs 10 km under 45mins DAILY. ;) In short, I have been allowing the riches and the worries of the world (Luke 8:14) to poison my heart against the unspeakable joy of the Lord.

This is where Christian Music Radio comes in. Thanks to my iPOD and a MP3 recording software, I am finally able to listen to recorded segments of Christian Music Radio on the long flights and train/bus rides, and I can tell you it is simply WONDERFUL to be able to blast the music, close my eyes, and let my heart and soul sing/shout to the Lord inside. While God enjoys our worship, I don't think He needs it, but we sure do. Personally, being able to worship Him in song (even though it is listening and silent singing inside) has helped me to stay centred in Him. He has reminded me to think about what Jesus would do in my circumstances - He would not really care that much about the outcome, rather He cares much more about the people we encounter and what we go through. Keeping that in mind, helped me to see the senior managers for who they really are - senior individuals with passion to help us close the deal. It also opened my eyes to the value of the high level relationships and wisdom that they bring. PRAISE GOD!

I got back to Singapore yesterday (Sat) evening to a CHOKING haze. Visibility was about 100m and being outdoors felt like being trapped in a room of smokers. So we prayed, the family and I, so did many other families, I reckon. And Praise God, He swept the haze away - this morning (Sunday) the skys were clear. I cannot call it anything else but a miracle - the PSI (Pollution Standard Index) was 150 (anything above 100 is "unhealthy") and I was choking, this morning it was below 50, and now under 30 - I can't even smell the smoke anymore, so I'll be heading out for my weekly ride/run brick. :) Like what my dear wife said, "God ain't gonna let the haze keep His people away from church". AMEN!

I simply cannot say it enough - GOD IS GOOD! Train safe everyone and God Speed!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you in infancy as well, but I believe if we keep our faith in God then everything will work out. You're a good man and I am sure that God smiles when you are writing these posts and taking notice of what you want to improve upon.

Ellie Hamilton said...

~Sigh~
If you're on milk, I'm on skim milk, or Slim-Fast. The low-test stuff that doesn't satisfy and doesn't nourish.

It's the thorns, it's always the thorns. How many women my age have a life like mine? How can I complain? You're right, unspeakable, unshakeable joy is both the route and the result.

Iron Pol said...

It's a balancing act. Just when we start to think how we're becoming more of a toddler, or even a teenager, something happens that shows just how far we have to go. It is a lifelong practice, and even at death after a life as perfect as we can live, a person compared to Jesus will see just how far short they fell. That's why God's grace is so vital.

And consider that God created all of existence for one purpose, to share fellowship and worship Him. He may not NEED our worship, but he strongly DESIRES it and mourns every time someone refuses His love.

D said...

Good post Kewl! Thanks for your recent comments!

Cliff said...

Kewl,

What i am afraid of is to become a Christian for a long time and not able to apply the head knowledge I gain from studying the Bible and sermons. Then I would become a walking hypocrite..

anwayys..enough about me....glad u get your run in.

U are right about God not needing us to worship Him but we are the one who need it the most.

Cliff said...

I do agree about looking up at the lavish lifestyle and wondering why it can't be me. Very tempting in the working world.

Linda said...

I guess we just have to keep fighting the good fight of faith.

tryathlete said...

When I lived in Bedok I used to like the haze. Not nice cycling or running in it, but it definitely made the weather cooler.

Deb said...

What's great is that everyday we can 'step up to the plate' with our faith, and you certainly do. Keep it all in perspective and you'll continue to live the rich life you do. No one's got anything on you!

qcmier said...

No need to be ashamed of being a "spiritual babe." Ironically I believe we are to be like children and not think about fame and riches. "Amen I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3.

Thanks again for the post.