Monday, October 02, 2006

Hazy Days are Here Again

Sigh... it seems the haze is back. Over in Indonesia, forest fires are raging (mostly man-made - to clear the forrest for industrial or agricultural use) and this time of the year, the wind changes and it blows the haze into our sunny island Singapore. Besides the obvious inconvenience and discomfort to any sort of outdoors activity, it is rather sad to know that somewhere in Indonesia, another forrest is dying... :(

On a more positive note, I managed to find a freeware that "rips" Internet Radio into MP3 files. If you would like the link, email me (sorry can't remember it off hand and I probably shouldn't be promoting a software that I have only just tried myself). I hope to get my paws on the iPOD later when I get to Hong Kong, so I can try the sound quality of the ripped Internet Radio segments. The word "rip" actually made me wonder if I am doing the right thing - am I depriving the artists of the royalties that should be going to them? On the other hand, I am not ripping out the songs individually, I am recording the entire Internet Radio broadcast over a couple of hours so I can listen to it again. Is that unethical? I think what I will do is that as I listen to the ripped Internet Radio segments, I will take note of my favourite songs and purchase them on iTunes, so the artists get their royalty and I get my proper CD quality songs. :)

Meanwhile, any "tips"/links to kewl Christian and/or Training podcasts, Internet Radio, sermons, streaming music, etc... that I can download for the iPOD would be very much appreciated. Any kewl Christian contemporary music sites - pop, rock, worship, etc... - is especially appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This week I go to Hong Kong and Japan. Will try to squeeze in a run at the hotel gym. Meanwhile, train safe and God Speed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMHO, ripping internet radio is no different from taping radio on a cassette (am betraying my age here). In any case, internet radio is quite low quality and the music companies aren't too bothered by rippers.

k

Iron Pol said...

Note: This is by US laws/standards

Media broadcast over the "airwaves" is subject to royalties paid by the broadcaster. Those royalties are generally based upon estimated numbers of listeners. And those broadcasts can be recorded, though not rebroadcast without permission.

Recording an Internet radio cast for future listening in no way violates law or ethics.

Linda said...

I rip books from C.D.'s to listen to while I'm running then dicard them when I'm done and don't think there is anything wrong with that.
I don't have time to read and it's a great way to multitask!

Papa Louie said...

I would have to say my all time podcast show is Phedippidations!!
You can find it in itunes and do a podcast directory search. His web site is steverunner.com

Deb said...

Not sure what I'd do without my IPod. Have a safe trip and be good to yourself!

Rachel said...

Lots of traveling! I always search iTunes for my music. There's just so much there. We get a lot of haze in San Diego this time of year too. Marine fog and also some fires (it's so dry here).