Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Year of the Pig

Have you ever had "leave me alone to wallow in my self-pity" days? That pretty much sums up my Chinese New Year (CNY) holidays. We are having our annual increment rounds at work, and I was stupid enough to muck it up just before the holidays, so two of my guys have had to work during the CNY holidays to help rectify the error. Not exactly the clever thing to do when my boss is trying to figure out my increment for the year. :(

On a brighter note, the kids had a great start to CNY this year, as it fell on a Sunday. A great chance to compare costumes 1st thing in the morning before the visiting began. So happens one of the gals came in a matching costume so I could not resist taking a picture of the lil' ones.

On the training side, my Polar HRM tells me that I have been burning less than 1000 Kcals a week for the last 3 weeks (my target is to burn more than 2000 Kcals a week) and I'm afraid it is showing in my waistline. I discovered to my dismay that I have to loosen my belt by one notch!

Went for a run with R1 on his bike yesterday (3rd day of CNY) which turned out to be a 7km slow run with lots of stops - R1 had to adjust his pants, take a drink, stop to look at stuff, etc - and some climbing (slopes too steep for R1 to bike up/down, and some stairs in between). As you can see from the HRM graph, it was like mixing in a bit of everything - slow running, intervals, climbing and even a little strength training (carrying R1's bike). :) In retrospect, not too much of a workout, but the "quality time" one-on-one with R1 was priceless, so I really can't complain. In fact, I am thinking of making this a regular Sunday afternoon activity. :)

Next week I go to Delhi so I am trying to get as much training into this week as I can:
  • Mon: Rest
  • Tues: 7km Fun Run with R1
  • Wed: Strength Training - Leg Press, Seated Row, Bent Elbow Lat Pull-Down, Push-ups, Abs Crunch with Twist.
  • Thurs: 10km Run (planned)
  • Fri: 2km Swim (planned)
  • Sat: 50km bike / 5km run (planned)
  • Sun: Fun Run or Ride with R1 (planned)

Pretty ambitious training plans (for me), but I'm hoping that I can stick to 'em. Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

9 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

The kids look like they are having fun in the photo, are they feeling better now? Carrying a bike up a hill, that has to be in every dad's training program. :)

Robin said...

I like your Sunday afternoon activity idea!!! You sure do travel a lot for work! Good lcuk keeping your training schedule this week!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayer support. R1 and R2 are both much better. Still coughing but better. :) We are going to try to put a swim cap on R2 and let him swim today despite the wound on his head - it's been a long enough break from swimming for the poor guy.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Love your thoughts about quality time with R1.

Iron Pol said...

Given the choice between a quality run and a run with my son, I'll take my son, every time.

What I've found works well is to have a series of routes from the house. There are two (5K and 8K) that are suitable for the jogging stroller. If I have a run, I figure out what he might be up for and determine routes from there. For a 20K run, I might take him on the first 5K and then do a 15K loop. That way, we get some time together, and I get plenty of "quality" training completed.

it's only fuel said...

Happy CNY! I hope your boss was generous with your increment:)

Your training week looks great, I wish I could keep up with that. Work and school are killing me at the moment.

Smile:)

Robin said...

OKay I just checked in to see if you posted again. I saw the pix again of R1 & R2. I have to just say that you have the cutest kids!

Anonymous said...

You've got to take what you can get for training. At least you were able to get some time on your feet.

Linda said...

I hope you have a great new year too. Cute kids!