Monday, January 08, 2007

You know there is headwind when...


  1. you smell roadkill way before you ever see it
    riders passing you in the opposite direction all seem to look smug

  2. you are going slower downhill than when you were on the flats

  3. when you finally pick up some speed on the downhill, you feel your chin strap strangling you because it is keeping your helmet from flying off

  4. you start looking forward to cars and trucks buzzing by because you get to speed up a little

I am sure you can add tons more... :)


Been shopping for a 20" bike for R1 so that R2 can finally go from his 12" to R1's current 16" bike. Is it me or has kid's bike prices doubled in the last couple of years? :( I have my eye set on a StingRay, but Mrs Nitrox is not so sure - says it is too much of a poser's bike. It's either that or a Giant MTB that comes with gears (but no suspension, figure they are just extra weight on a kid's bike). What do you think - hot rod or MTB (no, there aren't any 20" Tri bikes)?


I've had what counts as a good training week (for this oldie Novice Master Triathlete):



  • Monday - 53km bike, 3km run

  • Wednesday - 5km run, strength training

  • Saturday - 1st open water swim in 2007! (55mins, 2km?) Was at Sentosa with the family - there are some kewl beaches/lagoons there, not to mention our favourite pizzaria where the kids get to pretend to make their own pizzas. Took the opportunity to squeeze in a swim - the water was warm (tropical Singapore) and very very cloudy. There was some traffic (tankers and tug boats) out at sea, so I got the chance to swim across some choppy waters - swallowed some sea water when I turned to breath in the direction of the coming waves, so bilateral breathing helped. :)
  • Sunday - 53km bike, 3km run

Tonight I head to sunny Sydney for the week, so I will sneak in some strength training before my flight and call this my 1st rest week of 2007. Will be bringing my surgical mask for the long red-eye and over-booked plane ride - I've never worn a mason a flight before, but Joe Friel's book says that our immunity drops 24-36 hours after a breakthrough work-out, so this time I will be playing it safe. Will also bring my running shoes and try to fit in a maintenance run at least. It feels fantastic that this rest week was planned for and not ad-hoc for a change!


So until next time, it's "G'day!", train safe and God Speed!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice training week Kewl. Swimming in choopy waters is a scary thought for me. Nice job getting it done. Have a safe trip.

Unknown said...

your training week shames me!!

and i've still NEVER swam in open water. That is something I need to do this spring.

Have fun in Sydney. Fun city. :)

Anonymous said...

Kick my butt! I need to start training again!

Fitness4God said...

Hope you had a good trip to Sydney, mate!

G'day, mate! Nice blog.