Monday, January 22, 2007

Foosball Anyone?

This must be the biggest foosball table that I have ever come across. Saw this in the Munich airport with my colleague, but we were short of maybe 6 other players to get in a game! :)

Otherwise, Munich was pretty much what I expected - too cold for this tropical Novice Master Triathlete to get in any training. :( I did manage to load up on quite a bit of carbo (i.e. beer) and protein (i.e. bavarian food - a lot of pork and very little vegetables, unless you count the sauerkraut), and even had a room in a 3 star hotel with a interesting view. So much for the German sense of humour...

I must say that I found Munich to be a very beautiful city - I had a quick walk around the city centre the day I arrived, and it was very refreshing to see a entire shopping area built into an area with such a strong historical background. Germany being the land of PlayMobil, I was a man on the mission - to carry home as many PlayMobil toys as possible for R1 and R2! :) We are all hooked on the Knight playsets so I was very pleased to find a "Germany only" Knights Playset! Mrs Nitrox thinks I am more excited about PlayMobil than R1 & R2, and I have to agree - I grew up on those toys and I'm still hooked on 'em!

On the training front, it has been a slow two weeks for me in Sydney and Munich. I managed to squeeze in a 6-7km (rolling hills) run in New Castle (Australia) on Friday (2 weeks ago), and a 11km run and 1.6km swim on Monday (last week) before flying off to Munich. I was hoping to do more in the weekend in Singapore between Sydney and Munich, but was "zonked out" from the Sydney trip and decided to apply Joe's rule of "when in doubt, leave it out". Same story when I got back from Munich on Friday evening - I was "zonked out" all weekend (I must be getting old), but pushed myself to go for a 53km bike / 3 km run on Sunday. One thing I have to share is that despite my rather punishing travel schedule, and the fact that I am a light sleeper, I have not had to resort to any sort of medication to get over jet lag, not even melatonin. Not that I don't have difficulties adjusting (my two weekends of feeling "zonked out" testifies to that), but somehow, the Lord just brings me through them and gets me back on track. Praise God!

On the Intentional Discipleship front, last week in Munich was the first disruption since my commitment to daily prayer. Somehow, between the jetlag and the hassle of travelling, I just left prayer out of my daily bedtime routine - how deceitful is the human heart! It was only when I was back in Singapore that I "realised" that I have been missing prayer time, and that as a result I have lost intimacy with God. It's funny how life seems to screw up when prayer goes missing! ;)

Well, I am glad to be back in Singapore this week and look forward to getting "back into the program" where training and Intentional Discipleship are concerned. On the former, I will get back to swim/run and strength training, and on the latter, I get to lead my Care Group this week in our chosen series - Step by Step through the Old Testament. Looks like it will be a good week, and I hope the same for you. :) Train safe and God Speed!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home safe. That is one HUGE foosball table! Have a great week getting back in the swing of things!

Papa Louie said...

Enjoy some normalcy in your life this week.

Deb said...

You sure travel my friend! Good job on training while on the road to. Glad your home safe with your family!

Rachel said...

Sounds like a great (albeit cold) trip. Traveling makes everyone really tired.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

WHat a schedule!!!you can pray anytime anywhere. no appointment needed... He's so convenient!
Jenny

Unknown said...

That is a huge foosball table!!

I second Jenny's comment. You can pray anytime anywhere - and He's waiting to hear from you. :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

Amen!