Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Reason to Live (Part II) - Triathlon Training

First and foremost, my sincere apologies to RobTheRunner and other friends out there tracking me through bloglines. I was silly enough to switch to blogger beta and apparently there is some issue updating bloglines. Was searching the 'Net for some answers, but there does not seem to be a clear fix, just a lot of unhappy beta bloggers airing their grievances. :(

Also, sorry that Part II to my previous post took so long in the making. It is partly due to an extended break in Triathlon Training (I have run out of excuses - sickness, bad weather, you name it...), and a short get-away with the family in Sentosa (an island resort connected to Singapore by a land-bridge). It didn't occur to me to take a picture of the chairlift (yes, that's how irregular I have become in blogging), so I stole one from the 'Net for ya. Chairlifts in Singapore? What will they think of next? A ski resort?!?! :D

So back to the subject of training plans for 2007. I am the sort of person who reads the ending of novels before I start, so here's the conclusion: there will NOT be a Ironman 70.3 for me in 2007, just Sprint and Olympic Distance Triathlons.

I've been thinking a lot lately about why I am continuing Triathlon Training - so much so that I have had to read my own post on this subject back in January. Reading the Triathlete's Training Bible also helped put things into perspective - there was a quiz in the early part of the book that measures mental attitude, and my score quite literally said that I should seriously think about why I am in Triathlons! :)

So the short of it is that I am still committed to Triathlon Training because my reasons for doing so has not changed, but instead of setting impossible goals and then getting depressed about not being able to meet them, I've decided to set realistic goals based on the amount fo time I have to train. There is a very interesting table in the Triathele's Training Bible that lists the estimated training hours annually for a Sprint, Olympic, Half Ironman, Ironman, etc... I estimate that I would have a maximum of 6 hours a week for training and 4 weeks off a year - that's a total of 288 hours, which according to the table, puts me at only Sprint Distance Triathlons. :) In fact, given that the Olympic Triathlon in Singapore is in July, that translates to less than 150 training hours! Of course, we have to temper what we read with what we know about ourselves, so I sticking to my original target of doing my first Olympic Distance Triathlon in July 2007. Given my current lack of training time, and additional distractions to come in 2007 from R1 going to Primary School (i.e. Elementary School) and the huge merger happening at work, I think I will have to take up qcmier's offer to do the Singapore 70.3 Ironman in a couple of years. :)

So here's my draft race calendar for 2007. Given the difficulty in getting some sort of race calendar for Singapore, this is highly subject to change and probably a little too agressive (it would take a lot to be able to join the overseas events).
  • Mar '07 - 11 Mar '07 Singapore Duathlon or 17 Mar '07 Singapore Biathlon (1.5km swim, 10km run). Don't think I can do both and the Duathlon details are not out yet.
  • 26/27 May '07 - Aviva Bintan Triathlon (Indonesia) (Olympic - 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run)
  • *"A" Race* 7/8th July '07 - Singapore Triathlon (Olympic - 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run)
  • *"Stretch" Race* Oct '07 - Pulai Triathlon (Desaru, Malaysia) (Long - 2km swim, 60km ride, 15km run)
  • 3 Nov '07 - Corporate Triathlon (Sprint)
  • Dec '07 - Half Marathon
So much for planning, now it's time to get off my ass and start training again. ;) Until next time, train safe and God Speed!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Triathlons are incredibly hard and take a lot of training. It takes an dedicated athlete to compete in triathlons.

Thanks,
Scott Hughes
Triathlon Forums

Unknown said...

your schedule looks similar to mine. i'm looking at a duathlon in april; some sprints; my A race (oly) in july; and maybe a half marathon in the fall. I'll keep an eye on your progress. :)

Cliff said...

Kewl,

That sounds like a good plan. My plan for next season is not to over plan. Say in theory I can have a maximum of 18 hr a week of training, I will intentionally cap it off at 17 or 16. This way, in case, of any emergency will not throw me off the schedule.

Anonymous said...

I think technically that chart would look at your average 6 hours for 52 weeks. It assumes downtime of unstructured, if not nonexistent training time following the season to recover. Anyway, the 24 hours of difference is probably insignificant in your calculations that you have about 300 hours per year to train - also a nice conveniently listed number in Friel's charts.

It's good to be realistic with your goals so you are not beaten up by failure to meet them.

D said...

I like your new masthead! I need to get off of bloglines once in awhile to see these changes! This looks like a good schedule for 2007.

Unknown said...

I intentionally plan too many events in hopes that I will make 80-90% of them. There are a lot of events in my area and the hardest part is arranging for someone to watch the kids if my wife is working.

I have had other problems with ither blogs not updating so I periodically go through the blogs that I have not seen a post from in awhile to make sure I don't miss anyone. I just switched over to beta as well.

Iron Pol said...

Kewl, set the goals, then work with them. I completed my first sprint and Olympic on little more than 6-8 hours/week for far fewer weeks than you are considering. Started training in February (with no swimming ability) and completed an Olympic race in August.

I'm planning IM distance on maybe double the time you feel you have. I like that you included the "Stretch Race" in case you feel your training moving along nicely.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Kewl - I hope you stick with triathlon. It is a fun thing to do, and doesn't require as much training s some of the books tell you. You're not going to win, anyway, so participating IS the prize. Your "grand" prize is in goggles at the top of your blog. This is your hobby - it's not what God defines you by. It's not what "Goggles" define you by. Not even remotely. Do it because it's fun and keeps you connected to other fun journey-men, and it keeps your temple healthy.
I never ever train more than 12 hours a week, and that is my highest week before an IM.
Jenny
p.s. - just my 2-cents!

Robin said...

Hi Kewl. I think you made the right decision about having the Olympic as you goal this season. Good choice!!!!! And...you have outdone yourself again. LOOOVE the picture of R1 & R2 with the goggles and the swim caps! Ah, it' sin the family! HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you & your entire family!