Monday, November 27, 2006

Ironman 70.3 Singapore

Ironman 70.3 comes to Singapore on 2 Sep 2007! That would explain the rising number of beautiful Tri bikes I see in Singapore lately. :)

Given my DNR (Did Not Register) for the Olympic Tri this year and my off-again-on-again training, it would take tremendous motivation to even consider signing up for a half Ironman.

According to this article on IronMan.com, "The Singapore Ironman 70.3 will consist of a 1.9 km swim, a 90 km bike and a 21 km run." This seems to be yet unconfirmed as the Ironman703Singapore.com site still calls the course "under construction", with only some vague hints like
"1. The Swim will be flat, except there may be some chop on the day.
2. The ride is fast; VERY VERY fast, and very accurate... and it's looking more and more likely that we'll be able to launch with our preferred course...so believe me, that's worth waiting for!

3. The run is superb! It has a little of every thing. It's fast, it's smooth and it has a lot of shade!!!"

Which comes to my current muse of "Do I really want to do this?", "Can I get in shape in time?", and "If not now, when?!?!" Hmmmm.......

On the home front, I still cannot get over how well R1 is doing on his bike without training wheels. Biked 4-5km with the little fella to the club for a swim and then we biked back afterwards. Perhaps he will yet be the Ironman that I never will be. :) Funny how as parents, we tend to project our deepest unfulfilled ambitions onto our kids. I gotta be careful to avoid that. :D

Train safe and God Speed.

7 comments:

Iron Pol said...

Well, here are some random thoughts:

1. IM Louisville is August 26th, and we still know virtually nothing about the course.

2. Keep in mind that motivation comes in different forms at different times. Perhaps you should use the race AS motivation, instead of finding a race to sign up for after you find motivation.

3. If the swim is anything but flat, get concerned. If there's one thing I'm confident about, it's that most swims are relatively flat. If it's downhill, I'm in.

Cliff said...

Kewl,

Perhaps he will yet be the Ironman that I never will be. :) Funny how as parents, we tend to project our deepest unfulfilled ambitions onto our kids.

Ha. What if u will do an IM some day in the futre...is this mean R1 is going ot be a pro someday? :D.

Great previous post....we just have to keep peddaling...and everything else is easy..lemon squeezy.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting back in to TRIs and thinking about another 70.3! You can do it!

D said...

Just do it! You have enough time; you are familiar with the routes.

Anonymous said...

Registering has a way of making us motivated to train.

On the other hand, not having done the training or racing at the Int'l distance might mean jumping up to HIM carries risk of injury.

Only you know what you are reasonably able to accomplish over the next 9 months.

Trisaratops said...

"The swim is flat."

I love it! :)

Cute pic of the little guy!

I say go for it, if you've got the time to get the long stuff in. You can do a few early Olys, too.

Unknown said...

I have no doubt that you can be ready if you are committed to it. Signing up and committing to it is not always easy to do though. Good luck in the decision making process.