Wednesday, September 27, 2006

17 Minutes..

That's how long it took me to change my very 1st flat last Sunday, but in mitigation it wasn't my bike. Was out biking along my usual route when I noticed a fellow cyclist "stranded" on the opposite side of the road. I've been in that position before with my old bike, and was amazed at how all the other cyclists seem to just turn a blind eye. Maybe they don't wanna interrupt their training session, or maybe they don't know how to change a flat, who knows? But not a single rider stopped when I last had a flat (and I was too "green" to carry a spare tube then).

I was in a hurry to finish my ride, as the wife and kids were waiting for me to get home so we could send my sis-in-law & family to the airport after the ride (they were visiting from Australia), but I figured no excuses this time, just stop and help. I knew this would delay me, but was thinking that I will skip the run and still be able to make it to the airport. There's a price to pay to being a Samaritan, and Jesus' loving grace frees us to do just that - I ain't gonna sweat about missing the run, He's big enough to "make it up" for me. As I got nearer, I saw that it was a beautiful Orbea tri bike, and the rider sheepishly asked me if I knew how to change a flat - he was trying to change the flat while the wheel was still on the bike, so I figured I knew a little bit more than he did. :D

Turns out he was fully equiped with a spare tube, tyre irons (plastics?) and a mini pump, just never had to change a flat before. Thank God he had one of them Kevlar beaded tyres so it didn't take too much effort to get that tyre off and on again - mental note to self: maybe I should consider tyres with Kevlar beads.

I got home just in time to see my dear wife drive off to send her sister & family to the airport sans the kids and myself, and she didn't look too impressed with ol' Nitrox for arriving late. Yikes, the price for being a Samaritan just went up! Can't do much about it now, so I sent a quick text message begging for forgiveness and went for my run to complete the brick. :D

Happy ending: Got the run in to complete the brick, and my dear wife wasn't too upset with me. Best of all, I had the opportunity to be a blessing to someone else. Praise God!

Until next time, train safe boys and gals, and God Speed!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Even if your wife was upset with you I think you did the right thing to help the other fellow out. Many of us do not take the opportunities to help that are presented to us. And hey, God even made it fairly easy with the right tools and Kevlar beaded tyres.

Steven said...

You did a good thing by stopping to help out that other rider. You will be repaid 10-fold!

Also - I have a Fizik on my Plasma and really like it.

And lastly - Welcome Back!

Papa Louie said...

I'm sure your good samaritan deed will not go unnoticed.

Iron Pol said...

Having run into issues on two separate rides (broken chain and flat), I know how it feels to be stranded. I won't pass by a biker in need, whether on my bike or in my car.

I carry two tubes, mini pump, and two CO2 cylinders in my pack. I also carry a tube, cartridge, and pump in my car.

If someone needs one, they'll get it, and I'll be glad to have helped. I'm glad you put another in need above yourself.

Rachel said...

So nice of you. Around here, a lot of people offer to help when I get a flat, which is way cool. I used to have Continental tires, which were impossible to get on and off without losing a finger. I switched to Diamentes, and they don't have the wire thing on the inside so they just slip on and off. I LOVE them.

Anonymous said...

You are always such an inspiration!

D said...

What a nice guy you are. Nice to see you blogging.

Cliff said...

Great Samaraitan...

orbea..hmm..sweet.

I am sure u earn some heavenly treasure today.

Anonymous said...

That fella didn't need no good samaritan, 'pal, what he needed was a miracle. Who rides with tools without any clue as to how to use them?
You did great in giving him a hand, Kewl.
Last time I punctured on the CR1 was actually just a couple of weeks ago, and guess what: no spare tube either!
Better yet: it was a couple of hours before the newspapers hit the stands, so I had no choice but to wait and then call for my good samaritan cousin.
I've never been more insulted by anybody the way I was by myself that morning.
Cheers,
Eloy

Robin said...

Good job being helper. And...good job changing your FIRST FLAT! I have yet to do that, but it is only a matter of time, I am sure! :-)