Tuesday, March 08, 2005

My 17 Year Old Bike is Re-Activated!



So, this here is my bike from colleage days - a 1988 Centurion 'Dave Scott Ironman Expert' which I bought brand new in L.A., California. Rode it for a few years in L.A. and Vancouver, the latter even in winter snow, and it has served me well all those years. A very well built (steel) bike with a decent 105 group, to which I added Look clipless pedals, Profile Design aero tri bar, etc.

As mentioned in my previous post, I decided to save some cash by re-activating it for my Sprint Tri bid - replacing only essentials like the tyres, brake pads and the saddle, since it is still in overall pretty good condition.

These pictures were taken just before the 1st test ride after re-activation, and I am happy to report that it works just fine! Since then I have used it in both solo and group rides, and I must confess that it feels great to over-take guys in bikes costing 10 times more. ;) I still cannot really keep up with my super fit buddies in their fancy Orbeas, but I believe it has a lot more to do with my (lack of) fitness than the bike.

No comments: