Monday, May 07, 2007

Week 3 of 15

Another 6/6 week! But just barely... My floor pump broke just when I was about to head out for my Sunday bike/run and I had to scramble to get a new one (see picture, I got the Park Tool Home Mechanic Floor Pump, what a beauty!). Thankfully, I managed to squeeze in the bike/run before my flight to Jakarta this week, it was pretty stressful, as I was running scared of missing my flight to Jakarta! ;-)

So here's my training stats this week:

  • Mon: Swim Intervals - 550m warm up, 10 X (110m sprint, 30s recovery), 550m cool down
  • Tues: Long Run - 12.2 km
  • Wed: Rest
  • Thurs: 15min warm up, 8 X (1min sprint, 2min active recovery), 10min cool down;
    Strength Training (Leg Press, Seated Row, Bent Elbow Lat Pull Down, Chin-ups, Ab Crunch with Twist)
  • Fri: Rest
  • Sat: Long Swim - 1.95km
  • Sun: 52.4km bike / 6.4km run

As you can see from the total training hours per week above, this is the most training hours that I have ever logged in 3 consecutive weeks, and probably the most structured training I have undertaken since my Army days more than 20 years ago. The last bike/run I did on Sunday, I actually felt pretty strong and the fear of missing my flight actually pushed me to a 9.4km/hr pace for the 6.4km run, which is BOTH the fastest and longest brick run that I have done so far! I know the speed and distance ain't much to you ironmen/women and marathoners out there, but that's a brick run PR for ol' nitrox! :-) What a great way to go into REST WEEK this week! All in all, I feel tired and a little sore, but satisfied with the 3 weeks, and looking forward to cranking it up against after a week of rest.


This probably falls into the "too much information" category, but I remember that after the 2006 New Balance Real Run, my speedy gonzales friend N was remarking to me how he gets nipple abrasion on long runs, and I was like "erm... No, I don't have that problem. And I don't think I know you well enough for that conversation buddy!" Then last week, I jumped into the shower after my long run and "OUCH" - nipple abrasion. I guess I have arrived as a runner. :-) I already use vaseline on my bike seat (it helps me slide forward in aero position and back when climbing), so maybe... just maybe... Any suggestions welcome from you avid runners out there, and until next time, train safe and God Speed!

9 comments:

Steven said...

Excellent job on the training volume! Keep it rolling...but don't forget your recovery weeks too!

As for the nip issue...you can use band-aids or "Nip Guards." I think they have their own website.

Iron Pol said...

Great job on the training! Intensity and distance are all relative. When you are putting in the hours at home, church, and work, an 8-hour training week can be far more challenging than a 13-hour week for someone with plenty of free time.

I have two suggestions for abrasion issues (where ever they are). First, the lightest and most wicking material you can find next to your body. I have two very lightweight shirts I use for my longest runs. Second, vaseline or Body Glide. Between the two, I've avoided chafing. And honestly, if I had to skip one, I'd wear the lightweight shirt and skip the Body Glide.

Cliff said...

Congrats on the consistent training. That's where it matter the most.

Wish I can help you wiht the nipple abrasion prob. But I never had that prob before.

Your swim is coming quite nicely. The long brick is where you should be.

Keep it up...

Comm's said...

You can use the small circle band aids in a pinch. Send me an email and I will give you a link to what I really use when it counts.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine had a similar abrasion problem. I'll see if I can't find out what he used for that!

Tri-Dummy said...

Body Glide or bandaids...the tires are looking good...nice move with taping the gels to the bar!

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the training! You are kicking some butt!

As for the abrasions. . . I haven't had to deal with it there, but BodyGlide is awesome. Also, DON'T wear a cotton t-shirt! (That's what my male friends tell me!)

TRI Vortex said...

I'll pass on the info I got from SixTwoThree. Chamois Butter inside the shorts, applied directly on the inner thighs.

Mr Sanguine said...

Ask the wife for nipple pads, they work great. Wish someone told me about them before I lost my left one.